Chapter 4: Growing from one's loss

It was night as a blond male was looking up to the night sky from the small balcony that they had. He sighed softly as he merely hugged the pillow to his chest that he had received from the children of Neverland.

He remembered how he met a blond male and a red-haired male with dog ears on his head, both of them only slightly younger than him.

Upon meeting him and his mushroom-haired companion, they started asking them how it was for them to participate in the game of chess.

And while talking, Sou had learned a lot about this world and about the two boys who called themselves Root and Riinu.

Not only were they nice but they were also pleasant to talk with and the blond male felt more comfortable with them than any of his "friends" that he had ever made in his world.

Quickly shaking the negative thoughts off, Sou looked at the hamster plushie in front of him which was staring at him with its round black eyes as he tilted his head.

Hansel and Gretel had given it to him as a present because they quickly grew fond of Sou, saying that the plushie reminded them an awful lot of him.

Sou had denied that statement but the siblings insisted that they were right with Root and Riinu only humming in agreement.

The thing that flustered the young male the most though was when even Eve agreed with them.

"I-I'm not like a hamster...", the blond male mumbled to himself as he puffed his cheeks out, staring at the plushie before burying his face into the soft cushion.

Even so, he was happy to receive such a gift from such kind people though. And he made sure that he would forever treasure this gift that he got.

He would definitely properly thank the others once they had the chance to meet again. Or rather, if they had the chance to meet again.

Suddenly an image of Senra's elimination flashed through Sou's head as the blond male sat still for a while before hugging his plushie tighter, not saying anything as he buried himself deeper inside the fabric.

It had already been a week ever since Senra's elimination. Usually, levels would be played at a faster pace but after seeing how shocked the players still were from the first elimination, Oz had decided to give them a small break as an exception.

But time passed fast and so the next game would soon occur again. In fact, it was tomorrow already and Sou's stomach turned when he thought about the possibility of him getting eliminated next.

It was only a short time here but Sou had already grown to love this world. This world was beautiful. This world had kind people. This world held no pain. This world didn't need to remind him of how useless he was.

And this world let him meet Eve. Honestly, Sou didn't want to go back. And if he won, he would wish for a chance to stay in this world or the chance to stay friends with Eve.

He knew that it was a selfish wish. He knew that the others would probably have wishes which were much more important to fulfill.

Even so, he didn't want to give up. So Sou would do his best to win this game no matter what. Together with his team.

That's right. If Sou wanted to meet the people from Neverland again. If he didn't want to end up eliminated. If he wanted to keep staying in his world to make his wish come true, he would have to work hard and do his best.

A faint knock ripped him out of his deep thoughts as he turned his gaze away from the sky.

"P-please wait a moment, I'll be there!", the blond male exclaimed as he ran towards the door. He wondered who it could be as it was already late and there was no reason for anyone to come to his room in the first place.