nineteen

"Draco? Draco!"

Hermione's voice was ragged her her throat was sore. She felt as if she'd been screaming for hours to find him but nothing ever came up, no response shouted back. She was beginning to lose hope- she couldn't lose him.

She ran down the long hallway that never seemed to end, slamming doors open and her eyes welling up when there was nothing behind them. "Draco!"

Please.

She looked through door after door, all exactly alike, vision blurring through tears and exhaustion. Just as she was about to collapse and give up on it all, she saw a door down the hall- black, with silver trim.

Different.

Hardly daring to hope, Hermione raced toward it, rattling the handle furiously and managing to get the door open, finally, finally, and she raced into the room and found -

nothing.

"No," she gasped, heart shattering. Sinking to the floor, she struggled to think of a happy memory to conjure her Patronus, her last resort. After some time an otter was bounding out of the room, looking for Draco. Hermione put her head in her hands. She was exhausted.

It seemed like she was sitting on the floor for hours, praying for her Patronus to return with Draco- with anything.

Her head snapped up as she heard a muttered swear, along with a little thump at the door before the otter returned, spinning once in front of her before disappearing. In tow, it had Draco, whose tired eyes lit up at the sight of her. "Hermione!"

"Draco!" she said, choking on a joyful sob. She rushed forward and enveloped him in a hug, holding him as tightly as she could. They stayed like that for who knows how long, heartbeats synchronising and breaths deep and full. "I thought that you were gone."

"I'll always come back to you," he said.