twenty-five

"What does this mean?" Pansy fretted as they had lunch in Hermione's office. There were quite a few people packed into the room, but Hermione cast a temporary expansion spell on it, similar to the one that Arthur Weasley had done on their tents in fourth year.
    "It means that Kingsley's going to rule in your favor but has to take some time on the decision so he doesn't look biased," Hermione said bluntly.
    "I can't believe they let that bloody bastard into the trial," Draco grumbled.    
    "He can't do anything to us," Hermione said.
    "Yeah. Sure," Draco said shortly. Hermione's gaze cut up to his sharply, surprise flashing in her eyes. Draco avoided her gaze, and Hermione bit her lip, feeling like she had done something wrong. Harry cleared his throat and started conversation with Blaise.
    Hermione, still stung, moved across the room to speak to Pansy. She felt Draco's eyes on her, but didn't turn to look at him.
    "I know logically this will all work out, but what if it doesn't?" Pansy whispered. "There's the possibility- and it's Abraxas. He always gets things to go his way."
    "No, he doesn't. You're going to be fine," Hermione said firmly. "Don't panic, okay?"
    Pansy exhaled. "Okay."
    "Don't worry," Ginny said, touching Pansy's arm. It was possible that she meant to grab her hand, but the touch was comforting nonetheless.
    When they were moving back after the break, Draco hung behind and grabbed Hermione's arm. She stopped where she was, and allowed the others to pass her. After the door closed behind them, she turned to face him. He let go of her arm.
    "Why won't you look at me?" he asked. Hermione gave him a measured look, and before she could respond, he said, "I'm sorry."
    "For what?" Hermione asked.
    "For snapping at you like that. In front of everyone," he held her gaze. "I'm just afraid of what he can do. He already took you from me once."
    "Draco-"
    "Seeing him and Natalia- when she looked like you- when he was touching you like you were his-" Something flashed in his eyes. Hermione swallowed.
    "That wasn't me."
    "I know. But it looked like it was. And it's hard to get that out of my head." He exhaled. "And he did touch you. He hurt you."
    She pressed her lips together before reaching out and pulling him to her chest. "Draco."
    "I love you so much, Hermione. I can't- if anything like that happens again-"
    "It'll be okay," she said, her thumb rubbing circles on his shoulderblade. "It's okay."
    "Hermione?" Luna poked her head out of the door. "Astoria wants you to be a witness if they ask for one. After you finish sharing your feelings, of course."
    "Oh-yes, of course," Hermione said. Draco shifted her so that his arms were looped around her waist. Luna nodded cheerily and retreated inside.
    "I guess we should go in," Draco said, his gaze intent on hers.
    "Yes," Hermione said. His eyes shifted to her mouth.
    "You're late," Blaise muttered as Draco slid into the seat next to him. "Where the hell have you been?"
    "Bathroom," Draco said.
    Blaise snorted. "Bathroom, my ass."
    Hermione slipped into the seat next to Luna, whispering, "Did I miss anything?"
    "No," Luna said. "Did you have a pleasant-"
    "Sh!" Hermione hushed her, cheeks flushing.
    Kingsley slammed the gavel down. "We're back in session."

(a/n: short chapter sorry!!)