fourteen

Part Six: The Soul Stone.

"I will meet you at the end of the world. Not where the sky meets the sea, but where an orange hue will surround us once again."

Aphrodite Stark.

We arrived at Vormir, and the second my feet hit the sandy floor, my body shook.

We're here, and there's no going back now.

"So this is Vormir?" Tony asked, looking around.

"It's not what I expected, to be honest."

"It's exactly what Nebula said it was." I responded, looking at the cliff.

"It's a dominion of death."

"Stay on alert." Steve said, but I shook my head.

"No need, there's only one person here." I said, and began the trek towards the cliff, the others following behind me.

"What should we expect, mum?" Peter asked, and I shrugged, my eyes staying ahead of me.

"It's cold up there."

Peter gave me a sad smile, and we kept walking.

Eventually we made it to the top, and the red skull immediately floated down to us.

I don't like him, at all.

"Welcome. Aphrodite, daughter of Clementine. Tony, son of Maria. Steve, son of Sarah. Peter, son-"

Steve cut him off.

"I know that voice."

"Ah, as you should." He said, taking his hood off, and Steve froze.

"Schmidt."

"I don't go by a name anymore, my soul is trapped on Vormir. I am simply, an eternal guide."

How unfortunate for him, I guess.

"You two know eachother?" Tony asked, gesturing between Steve, and I guess, Schmidt.

Steve nodded, glaring at Schmidt.

"He was the leader of Hydra, before I went in the ice."

"Yikes." Peter coughed, and I looked at Steve.

"How did he end up here?"

"The tesseract." Schmidt responded, and Steve pointed at him.

"You'll stop talking if you know what's good for you."

"What happened, then?" Tony asked, and Steve shrugged.

"We were fighting on a plane. He wanted to nuke the major cities of the world, but I stopped him."

"Wow." I said, turning to Schmidt.

"That's kind of a dick move, Schmidtty boy."

"He grabbed the tesseract, but it sent him into space. I just assumed he died." Steve said, and Schmidt nodded.

"I would have preferred death, to this."

"You deserve a lot worse." Steve shot back, making me chuckle.

Angry Steve Rogers is a rare occurrence.

"Is that how you went in the ice?" Peter asked, and Steve nodded.

"I had to put the plane down before it reaches New York. The ice was the only way to do it."

"The more you know." Tony said, and Schmidt coughed to get our attention.