20: Partner

Days turned weeks. Yibo's absence is still a mystery to the world and the industry he had wordlessly left. His single 'No Sense' earning praises and reverberating in every corner of China, yet, there was no man to receive the due credits.

Zhan, supporting Yuehua Entertainment for damage control and public enquiries, has both of his hands full. It was a headache, stressful and chaotic. But every end of the day, he never forgets to stop by at the front of The Wang's mansion hoping to catch a glimpse of Yibo, but the latter remained an elusive man. It is as if he had vanished. His traces slowly disappearing right before Zhan's sight.

Then one day, the business world woke up and quivered to the news that the legendary tycoon, Mr. Shu Wang, was rushed to the hopsital and is critically ill. Comatosed and dying, rumours speculate.

Zhan's heart skipped a beat. He had immediately thought of both Haikuan and Yibo and how this news will affect the brothers.

When he reached the medical facility though, it was only Haikuan who was by Mr. Wang's side. Haikuan was lost in thoughts staring at his father's body decorated by numerous medical equipments to support his last remaining time on Earth.

"He was such a strong character in my memory. The man I loathe and despise with all my life." Haikuan related, tears welling in his eyes but he refuses to let it fall on his cheeks. "But when I heard the news. I couldn't believe it. A piece of me broke. My heart cried and I found myself running to his side and wishing that he'll have more time."

Then a tear finally revealed itself, glistening as it gracefully rolled on Haikuan's white skin. "I regret hating him. I regret cursing him. I regret abandoning him. But why? After all he has done to me...to Yibo...to our mother...why do I still care for him?" Haikuan's knees gave out and he kneeled beside his father's death bed, bawling his eyes out...regretting all the missed chances...regretting all the actions and inactions he had and he had not done for his father.

Regret is such a cunning foe. It will eat you up, make you anxious, make you feel guilt, make you wish you had done even the impossible just to avoid it. But death combined with regret is worse. Because it leaves no opportunity to correct what has been missed. There will be no chance to revise a decision. There will be no chance for a corrective action. Thus leaving even a coldest-blooded person caving in to its power.

The old man hang onto his life for a few more days until his battle ended with a flat line on the monitor.

Haikuan had stayed by Mr. Wang's side 'til his last breath, even arranging for his funeral and leading the day of his interment. Those days had taken the toll on him, that he now seemed to be a different man. From the dark pockets under his eyes to the gloomy expression on his face.

Every death is sad. No matter how vile and despicable a person is in one's eyes. So Zhan wondered, how come even Yibo's shadow wasn't seen on the hospital premise neither on the day of the burial?

"He will regret it." Haikuan sadly mumbled to Zhan when everyone else has left the memorial. "He remained stubborn until the end. But when the time comes, he will realize what he had missed and he won't be able to undo anything."

Whether those words will be true, only time can tell.

For now, Zhan had given his full sympathy to his mourning friend while he continously worries about Yibo and his non-existence throughout his supposed-to-be bereavement period. But that is only one thing in Zhan's full plate at the moment, as his life balance is fractionated to the business matters as well.

Mr. Wang was a legend, an emperor of the chain of businesses he had created. And losing him only brought uncertainties to his partners and employees. Their mourning was overpowered and mayhem ensued when he passed away.