Money Issues.

Cleo's POV.

I hated being broke. I hated going to college, finishing top of my class, getting a big girl job and still being broke.

I had gone to a top school in L.A. for journalism. I had worked my ass off and got massive student loan debt. I got hired on by a major magazine right out of school and still could barely afford to get a fucking Starbucks coffee on my way to work.

And everyone starts at the bottom in journalism. I had to beg for opportunities. I was just seen as an assistant for now.

"Cleo? Are you listening?" Miranda, the lead journalist inquired, "I said to hold my fucking latte before I pour it down your TJ Maxx clearance rack looking shirt...Jesus!"

I snatched her coffee cup out of her hand and rolled my eyes. She was perfect and blonde, her teeth were shiny and white, cheekbones of a fucking goddess, she knew how to do makeup better than most of the makeup artists. People listened and responded to her when she interviewed them. As much as I despised her, I wanted to be her more than anything else in the world.

The day was finally ending and I was helping Miranda pack up....actually she was scrolling through her phone as I did all the work.

"Miranda, can I ask you something?"

She sighed,

"Make it fast."

"How did you get to where you are? You started out just like me. Right?"

Her eyes jumped up off of her phone screen and she scowled,

"I suppose I did, but I was much smarter...I made my own opportunities. If no one gives it to you, make your own. You have to prove yourself in this profession.... or you can just keep being my slave, I don't mind, really!" she said with a cocky smile.