Chapter 5

Everyone was in high spirits and though we haven’t eaten anything since breakfast, nobody complained. I divided the older kids into three groups, one lead by me, the other two by Iyanna and Alex.

My group will be on the first watch while the others rest, my group consisted of Oviric and a twelve year old girl named Lisanna Rivendeux, she looks thin but she is agile and good with the knife.

Alex’s will be leading thirteen-year-old twin brothers while Iyanna will be taking watch with a twelve year old boy and a thirteen year old girl, she will be taking the second watch while Alex’s will be the third and the last until dawn.

It will be a four-hour watch for each group.

I leaned against the cold concrete as I surveyed the dark street in front of me. There are no streetlights in this part of the city, the solitary streetlight stood at the end of the road at least fifty paces away from this building.

I must talk to my sister, somehow I felt that this attack has got something to do with her.

But even if Iyanna and Alex’s assumption is true, I know she would never betray us. Not without a good reason.

I closed my eyes and the memories resurfaced once more.

Scianna….

My sister.

We have always been close. Other brothers and sisters who were close in age usually have little fights over toys, possessions and sometimes, they even fight for their parents’ attention. But we never have those kinds of fights even when we were little kids.

She had always been a melancholic child. I’m the only one she would play with and she rarely talk to other people. Her soft caramel brown eyes would always be looking wistfully beyond the horizon. She had always been matured for her age, and even the Elders watched her warily yet their respect for her grew as years went by.

When Randall’s parents died and he moved in with us, Scianna took care of him, Oma used to say that it was only with the two of us that Scianna would show her real smile.

It might sound strange to others but whenever she smiles, I smile too, she rarely laughs but when she does, it made me feel light inside, I had always teased her that if ever I die before her then all she need to do is laugh to bring me back to life.

I started hanging out with Alex when I was ten, a year before Randall was born, of course, Scianna was with us but she had always been reserve and distant with other people.

Alex had been the ‘star’ fighter of the pack, he has a knack for fighting, coupled with his height and physique, it was a deadly combination. Alex makes friends fast, even girls a couple of years older than us flirts with him.

Scianna was the first girl who seemed immune to Alex’s charm, somehow I’m glad of that. If truth be told, I’m a little bit envious of Alex.