Chapter 14

The months of hunger had already taken its toll on us. We were not as fast as we normally were though we were still considerably faster than the Hunters, we were not the same as before. We already find it hard to catch up with Scianna who hadn’t endured the hardships we had these past couple of months.

She needed to slow down a bit before we managed to catch up.

We ran past the woods, our feet sinking on the snow slowing us even more.

The villagers had already got up, alerted by the commotion we made.

When I look back, I saw that they had opened their lights and some brave souls even went out to investigate.

The Hunters ignored them.

Instead they followed us, some by foot while some rode sleighs pulled by huge dogs.

We headed straight to the hills, trying to get there as fast as we could.

I guess the desire to live was still strong in us, we managed to reach top of the hills before they reached the foot.

There was another loud shot and I ducked, somewhere behind me I heard Iyanna groan.

I looked back, her leg was hit and she was losing blood fast.

This is bad.

I quickly carried her and continued running.

“We need to go to the hospital!” I shouted at Alex.

He didn’t say anything but his face was white with worry

Two more hills before the next village when I looked at Iyanna, she was already turning pale and starting to lose consciousness, her blood soaking my coat.

“Stay awake.” I ordered her.

She gave me a weak smile.

“I’ll try.” She whispered.

My feet were shaking, not out of cold but out of fear.

Would I really lose a friend now?

Is this the price of getting my sister back?

I looked at Iyanna’s pale face then at my sister’s back.

Was it still worth it?

Of course, it will always be worth it.

And I’m not going to lose Iyanna, we’re going to go back to the Pack and they’re going to accept us if not, then, we would live together, away from the Pack, in the mountains, the way my parents did.