Chapter 15

The peace didn’t last long, we only had a day’s rest before the Hunters attacked again, this time there were more of them. It was early in the morning when we heard the unmistakable howling of dogs, maybe hundreds of them from the hills.

Alex, who had been up early woke us.

“They’re coming!” He told us urgently.

The four of us hurried to the windows.

Then, we saw it, an army of Hunters descending the hill.

From our vantage point they looked like big black ants against the white snow.

Alex cursed before hurrying out of the room to look for Faustus.

We followed and found Faustus calmly sharpening a dagger in the kitchen.

“They’re here.” Alex informed him.

“I know. Go pick your weapons.” He ordered calmly.

When I looked at the table, I saw that it was laden with weapons, unfortunately, there were no explosives, we’d probably used the last of his stock during the previous attack.

The four of us head for the table, choosing our weapons carefully.

I decided to take a short sword and a pistol.

When I turned towards Scianna, I saw that she had picked a cutlass and a set of hunting knives.

I smiled, glad that her choice of weapon was still the same.

It gave me hope that she might be able to recover her memories once more.

Iyanna whose wound was not completely healed took a shotgun.

Alex took as much as he could, a bow and an arrow, an axe and a small revolver. After picking these, he took another shotgun and handed it to Altus who seems to be finding it hard to decide on which weapon to take.

“You do know how to use this, don’t you?” He asked Altus.

Altus nodded and took the shotgun from him, relief was on his face. He’s probably not ready to face his former comrades yet.

Some of them were his friends, they’d probably grow up together and now, he’ll be facing them, fighting them he’ll most likely kill some of them, would he be able to face the guilt that would follow if he survives?

I glanced at him, he looked worried and a little bit guilty.

I couldn’t blame him for that.

“Altus, you don’t need to fight for us.” I told him.