Prom - Part One

6x10

"I don't know about this."

Piper stepped out of her closet, her lips pursed uncertainly. Julia was sprawled out on top of her bed and looked up from her phone as Piper reappeared. Sitting up, she asked, "What do you not know?"

Piper smoothed her pants in her mirror, which was adorned with photos of family and friends along the sides. After deeming all of her own dresses unfit for prom and determining that her sister's dresses were too big for her given that Julia was four inches taller than her, Piper had decided to pair her black dress pants with a button-up blouse and blazer instead.

"Can I go to prom in this?" she asked uncertainly.

"Uh, duh, you look hot," was her sister's response, and Piper's cheeks flushed.

"Shut up," she grumbled, turning toward her dresser to put on her make-up.

"What? It's a compliment, Pipes," Julia said with a roll of the eyes. She settled back on Piper's bed, resuming her texting.

Piper ignored her as she carefully applied her eyeliner and mascara. Once her make-up was finished, she asked her sister, "Hair up or down?"

"Down."

"Should I do something special with it?"

Julia glanced up at her contemplatively then climbed off the bed. "Here." Her sister quickly pulled the top layer of Piper's hair into a bun on top of her head then stood back, proud of her work, simple as it may be. "I think you're prom ready."

Piper gave a small smile in the mirror. "Thanks."

Julia responded by pulling the ends of Piper's hair over her shoulders and smoothing down the arms of her jacket then gave a nod of approval. "I'll be downstairs when you're ready to go."

Once her sister was gone, Piper turned to check her appearance one last time. She did like her outfit, especially the bowtie that Julia had managed to find in the clutter of James' old room, and she liked the idea of not wearing a dress because she knew all of the other girls would be. Even still, the thought of dressing too differently from everyone else made her nervous, which was so irrationally ridiculous, but she couldn't help it. What if everyone judged her for wearing a suit instead of a dress?

Okay, Piper, it's prom. No worrying tonight, she told herself. As she turned to head downstairs, her eyes caught the pictures lining her mirror, and she paused, staring at one of her and Amy that was taken a few weeks after losing Regionals last year. Despite everything they'd been going through when that picture was taken (losing Regionals and Amy's heartbreak over LaTroy), they both looked so young and happy and closer than ever.

Longing surged through Piper's heart, and she turned away, moving downstairs and calling out to Julia that she was ready.

Realistically, it wasn't that big of a deal that Amy had never told her about her feelings for Henry. But when Summer suggested Piper join Henry's promposal dance and revealed that it was for Amy, she may as well have slapped her in the face, Piper was so shocked.

In hindsight, she supposed Amy planning an entire prom just for Henry should have been a big indicator that there was something going on there, but Piper had just thought she was being a good friend.

Why had she had to be the last person to find out about them? Even Finn had known before her – only because he'd been pulled into the promposal before her, but still.

And just when she'd thought that day had sent enough curveballs her way, Amy had revealed she was already going to prom with Ty. Who was Ty?