11.

Melody and I spent the next hour frantically cleaning and child-proofing my apartment. A knock finally sounded on the door as we finished making sure our revolvers were locked safely away.

"Hey boys!" I exclaimed, wrapping them into a hug.

"Thank you guys again, I would talk more but Michael and I have to get going. I packed them each a bag filled with enough things to keep them occupied. There's some clothes and books too. Hopefully I'll be back tonight. Boys, behave for your Uncle Jack and Miss Brown."

Sarah kissed the boys each on the cheek and rushed down the hall.

I got the boys settled down on the couch with their toy trains and approached Melody who was standing in the kitchen.

"Overwhelmed already are we?"

"N-no. I'm fine."

I smirked at her, knowing if I called her out she would become competitive.

It worked.

She marched out into the living room and took a seat next to the boys.

"Who wants to go get dinner?"

"Yeah!" the excited little boys exclaimed in unison.

"Okay, go grab your coats and Uncle Jack will help you put them on."

Melody smiled at me as Gabe and Harris swarmed around me.

While walking to the automat for dinner, Gabe walked next to me, blabbering about his friends at school.

Melody and Harris walked in silence, like two old friends who didn't need to speak, but simply just be in the company of each other. She held his shy little hand and guided him into a seat at the automat.

"Who do we have here?" Angie asked as she approached our table.

"These are my nephews, Gabe and Harris."

"What cuties!" she exclaimed, making the boys blush.

"What can I get you?"

"Ice cream!!"

"I don't think that's a good option."

"I want a cheeseburger!" Gabe chirped.

"What do you want Harris?" I asked.

"What about a burger?" Melody suggested.

Harris stuck out his small tongue at the suggestion.

"Okay, a tuna sandwich?"

"Yuck!"

"Grilled cheese?"

Harris shook his head from side to side. After a few more guesses his eyes lit up.

"Pancakes?" his little voice peeped.

Melody smiled and nodded reassuringly at him.

"Alrighty, pancakes and a cheeseburger coming up!"

When the food arrived, Melody went into full mother mode and started cutting up their food in tiny pieces. I talked about race cars and airplanes and soldiers with the boys, Melody occasionally adding insight.

"Mommy told us you are a policeman" Gabe commented.

I hushed his little mouth and looked at Melody for help. She leaned in, lowering her voice.

"Can you guys keep a secret?" Harris and Gabe nodded, eyes wide.

"We're spies."

Their jaws dropped open, immediately insisting for a story.