32.

Jack's POV

"I have to say Jack, this is a way better surprise than anything I imagined."

"That's the whole point."

Melody and I had spent the past week in Paris sightseeing, but mostly running away from our problems back home. There was just too much to think about, and we needed an escape.

It was our last night before our early flight, and I knew this was the time to do it.

I was going to propose.

The air was crisp and light, the darkened sky dappled with coruscating constellations. We stood on the Pont d'Iéna bridge in our finest evening wear.

The bridge ran under the Eiffel Tower which was lit up and looked like a giant star. Melody rested on the side of the stone and looked up at the tower.

"Wow, this is even better in person. One of the prettiest sites I've ever seen."

"Yeah," I said dreamily, you sure are."

She rolled her eyes, but it was charming.

The full moon's brilliance tinted her fair skin, the light rolling down her exposed shoulders. Her alabaster dress rippled around her, dipping over her every curve and soft angle of her body.

Man, did I get lucky.

I joined her against the railing, the heat emanating from my figure warming her night-chilled skin.

"You cold?"

"Just a little."

"I'd offer you my jacket, but that's too generous."

"Mm, yes indeed."

"I've got an idea to warm you up."

"I'm not doing that-"

"So dirty Melody, I meant something else."

I stepped away and held out my hand, her eyes followed.

"Dance with me?"

Melody nodded and allowed herself to be pulled into my arms.

I hummed Frank Sinatra's Oh You Crazy Moon which made her laugh.

"You know, I think your voice is pretty good Jack. Not as good as mine, of course."

"I can't believe you never told me you could sing."

"Just never came up."

I shook my head and grinned.

Our movement slowed as my voice drifted off and became hoarse. I searched her moonlit eyes, and they almost looked as if she was holding something back.

She took her gaze away from mine to look out over the city. Our dance ended, and now we stood in a quiet, restless manner with our bodies still touching.

Desperately I tried to slow my breath, my fingers fumbled with the ring in my pocket.

"Melody..."

Slowly I bent down onto my knee and her expression changed immediately. She looked shocked, alarmed almost.

"I really should've rehearsed this, but everything we do seems so effortlessly unplanned. You're the most strong-willed, alluring, most heavenly woman I know and God, do I love you. Will you m-"

"I'm pregnant."

A baby on the way? Marriage, too? Is the wrath of Russo finally over? Come back to see in book four!!