TWENTY-ONE

•:•

•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•☾☼☽•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•
twenty-one
•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•☾☼☽•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•

VIA'S JAW DROPPED.

For a minute, Jason and Thalia faced each other, stunned. Then Thalia rushed forward and hugged him.

"My gods! She told me you were dead!" She gripped Jason's face and seemed to be examining every inch. "Thank Artemis, it is you. That little scar on your lip—you bit a stapler when you were two!"

Leo laughed. "Seriously?"

Hedge nodded in approval. "Staplers—excellent source of iron."

Via stepped forward, still in shock. "But—you're serious? Jason's your brother?"

"W-Wait," Jason stammered. "Who told you I was dead? What happened?"

At the cave entrance, one of the white wolves barked. Thalia looked back at the wolf and nodded, but she kept her hands on Jason's face, like she was afraid he might vanish. "My wolf is telling me I don't have much time, and she's right. But we have to talk. Let's sit."

At the last word, Piper collapsed. She would have cracked her head open if Hedge hadn't caught her.

Thalia rushed over. "What's wrong with her? Ah—never mind. I see. Hypothermia. Ankle." She frowned at the satyr. "Don't you know nature healing?"

Hedge scoffed. "Why do you think she looks this good? Can't you smell the Gatorade?"

Thalia shot Via a look, like You're telling me you let the goat be the medic? Via shrugged, indicating that even she had no control over Hedge.

Thalia pointed at Leo. "You and the satyr. Take this girl to my friend at the entrance. Phoebe's an excellent healer."

"It's cold out there!" Hedge said. "I'll freeze my horns off."

But Leo didn't resist. "Come on, Hedge. They need time to talk."

"Humph. Fine," the satyr muttered. "Didn't even get to brain anybody."

Hedge carried Piper toward the entrance. Leo started to follow, but Jason held him back, asking him to stick around.

Thalia looked at Via. "Could you stay? I know Jason's my brother and Leo's probably an idiot, but I'll feel better being with someone I know. Like, know know."

Via shrugged. "Why not?"

The four of them sat around the fire. For a few minutes, there was silence. Via tried to imagine Jason as a goofy two year-old, trying to eat a stapler.

Finally, Leo spoke. "So...the Hunters of Artemis. This whole 'not dating' thing—is that like always, or more of a seasonal thing, or what?"

Via groaned silently. Leo may have been good at a lot of things, but flirting was not one of them. She giggled at Thalia's expression. Via was sure she was thinking of a million ways of shooting Leo.