TWENTY-TWO

•:•

•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•☾☼☽•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•
twenty-two
•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•☾☼☽•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•

VIA GASPED DRAMATICALLY when she saw how well Piper and Hedge were being treated.

While Via, Thalia and the boys had been freezing their butts off in the cave, Piper and Hedge were sitting comfortably in the Hunter's silver tents. Piper looked much better, wearing a parka and gloves. She and Hedge were kicking back, drinking something hot.

"I declare partiality," announced Via. "We've been sitting in a cave, and you guys get the luxury tent?"

Phoebe chuckled and handed her a mug, wrapping the parka over her. Via plopped down, comfortable. She took a sip, and her shoulders slumped, disappointed. "This is hot chocolate, isn't it? Damn, it's a miracle I've survived this long without coffee."

"You know, you can give that mug back if you want to." Phoebe grinned.

"It's mine, back off."

"Someone give me hypothermia," Leo interrupted. "I want hot chocolate and a parka!"

Phoebe sniffed. "Boys," she said. It was probably the worst insult she could think of.

"It's all right, Phoebe," Thalia said. "They'll need extra coats. And I think we can spare some chocolate."

Phoebe grumbled, but soon Leo and Jason were also dressed in silvery winter clothes.

"Cheers!" said Coach Hedge. He crunched down his plastic thermos cup.

"That cannot be good for your intestines," Leo said.

Thalia patted Piper on the back. "You up for moving?"

Piper nodded. "Thanks to Phoebe, yeah. You guys are really good at this wilderness survival thing. I feel like I could run ten miles."

Thalia winked at Via. "She's tough for an Aphrodite kid. I like this one."

"Hey, I could run ten miles, too," Leo volunteered. "Tough Hephaestus kid here. Let's hit it."

Thalia ignored him. Via giggled, Leo visibly disappointed.

Phoebe broke camp. The tent collapsed into a square the size of a handkerchief. Via could see Leo dying to ask her for the blueprints.

Thalia ran uphill through the snow, walking up a tiny path at the side of the mountain. Via hugged her parka tightly, trying to preserve heat. She could see her breath fogging you in front of her face.

Coach Hedge leaped around like a happy mountain goat, coaxing them on like he used to do on track days at school. "Come on, Valdez! Pick up the pace! Let's chant. I've got a girl in Kalamazoo—"