THIRTY-ONE

•:•

•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•☾☼☽•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•
thirty-one
•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•☾☼☽•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•

AFTER ANSWERING ALL THE CAMPER'S questions, Will brought Via to her cabin, gave her something to eat, and refused to let her sleep, in case she had a concussion. He read her books, brought all the cups of coffee she requested, and even hit her awake a few times.

"This special treatment you're giving me is slightly terrifying," Via said. "You want something, don't you?"

"What, I can't take care of my best friend after she single-handedly saved the world?" Will asked. It was half past three in the morning, but he was very much awake.

"No."

"Wow, rude."

Via chuckled. "Besides, I didn't single-handedly save the world. I had Leo, Piper, and Jason. And—according to Porphyrion—this isn't even the beginning."

"They can't give us a single second of peace, can they?" Will sighed.

Making a decision on impulse, Via grabbed the letter from her jacket, which was now covered with soot and dust. She gave it to Will.

It probably took him only a few seconds to read it, but it felt like hours. When he finished, Via couldn't meet his eyes.

Will's eyes narrowed. "So that's what those sneaky late night trips to the woods were. At one point I swear I thought you were secretly seeing a nymph or something."

Via blinked. "You knew about those?"

Will scoffed, not without affection. "Via, I practically spent every minute with you back then. I may be blond, but I'm not dumb."

"Why didn't you say anything about it?"

"You were keeping a secret. Everyone keeps secrets. I wanted to wait until you were ready to tell me."

"Bet you wish you hadn't now, huh?"

"No." Will leaned forward in his chair. "I'm guessing from the look on your face that you accepted his offer. I don't blame you for doing what you did, Vi. Being a demigod sucks. But..." he shrugged. "It's our reality. There's nothing we can do but accept it."

Via nodded. "I know that now. But back then, I was so desperate for something—something normal. I still am. And when Luke gave me that chance, I grabbed it."

"That's understandable. But Luke, he used to—" Will looked around as if someone was listening. "He died a hero, I'm not denying that. But he used to manipulate people, Via. He manipulated Silena and so many others into working for him. He did the same to you. And you were, what, thirteen? And after what had happened to you, of course it was easy for him to take your hopes and make them into something he could use to get you to his side."