THIRTY-TWO

•:•

•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•☾☼☽•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•
thirty-two
•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•☾☼☽•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•

AFTER A FEW MOMENTS OF SILENCE, the Hephaestus campers starting questions all at once. Who were the other four demigods? How long would it take to build the boat? Why didn't everyone get to go to Greece?

"Heroes!" Chiron struck his hoof on the floor. "All the details are not clear yet, but Leo is correct. He will need your help to build the Argo II. It is perhaps the greatest project Cabin Nine has ever undertaken, even greater than the bronze dragon."

"It'll take a year at least," Nyssa guessed, "do we have that much time?"

"You have six months at most," Chiron said. "You should sail by the summer solstice, when the gods' power is strongest. Besides, we evidently cannot trust the wind gods, and the summer winds are the least powerful and easiest to navigate. You dare not sail any later, or you may be too late to stop the giants. You must avoid ground travel, using only air and sea, so this vehicle is perfect. Jason being the son of the sky god, and Olyvia being the daughter of the sea god..."

His voice trailed off, but Via knew Chiron was thinking about Percy. Her gaze dropped to the ground. Percy would have been perfect for this quest. She supposed it was a good thing there was a back up Poseidon kid.

Jake Mason turned to Leo. "Well, one thing's for sure. You are now the senior counselor. This is the biggest honour the cabin has ever had. Anyone object?"

Nobody did. Via smiled proudly. Leo had spent so many years running away. Now, he was finally home.

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

Via waited alone in Cabin Six's weapon shed. The last time she'd been here, she was picking out a weapon for Piper. Now, she was picking one for herself.

Via tugged at her hair nervously. Her hair had changed ever since the accident. Via had let it grow, just so that she could cover up the violent scars on her back. Maybe it was time for that to change.

Even though it was nothing but an accessory now, the brooch was still there on her chest. Via wasn't sure what she'd do without the familiar weight of the metal. When Percy had found out, Via remembered him being sick with disappointment. Not in her, but in himself. He'd been so disappointed that he hadn't been there to protect her.

That's why he had given her that brooch. He had been determined to get Via something she could use to protect herself. Annabeth had helped him design the brooch, and then they'd given those designs to Tyson to craft, using magic and metal. Percy had wanted Via to have something she could have on her all the time, so that if something like that had ever happened to her again, she'd have something to defend herself.