TWENTY-NINE

•:•

•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•☾☼☽•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•
twenty-nine
•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•☾☼☽•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•

VIA WAS SURROUNDED BY WOLVES. As each one launched itself at her, she swung her club, hearing a satisfying crack every time it found its target. Only silver could successfully kill a werewolf, but a good slam in the head would still leave it reeling for days.

Through the chaos of battle, Via caught glimpses of her friends. A few feet away, Jason had somehow tamed a storm spirit, riding it in horse form, battling wolves. Piper was surrounded by Earthborn. Via wanted to rush to help, but she seemed to be holding her own. The Earthborn would forget that they were supposed to be fighting Piper, and grin wildly as she slashed through them with their dagger.

Leo had taken on Khione himself. While fighting her should have been suicide, Leo was the right one for the job. As Khione kept blasting winter air and frost his way, he made them melt in an instant with his fire. Via realised that Leo was the only reason they were still alive. His fiery aura was heating up the whole courtyard. Even Thalia defrosted a bit when Leo stepped near her.

Khione slowly backed away. Her expression went from enraged to shocked to slightly panicked as Leo got closer.

Via turned around, and a scream tore through the air. It was only when she dropped her club did she realise that it had come from her mouth.

In front of her were four creatures, who all looked like a mix between an old lady and a chicken on steroids. They had wrinkled faces, and hair tied back in a hairnet. They had claws for hands and talons for feet. Their wings beat furiously. Via couldn't speak. Her throat was dry, and her feet were frozen into the muddy ground. She wanted to reach for her club, but her arms wouldn't listen to her. Panic started bubbling up her throat, and she couldn't breath.

Khione had known all about Via's past with harpies. She'd mocked Via right before they'd left Quebec. The harpies weren't attacking anyone else, nor were there more harpies flying around. Their target was Via.

Rage replaced Via's fear. She remembered her father's words: You are a survivor.

She was done being afraid. She wasn't going to allow anyone else to take advantage of her weakness. Via wouldn't back away. This time, she was going to fight.

Before the harpies could make a move, Via raised her arms. Around her, the ice and frost rose up, forming four big icicles with points like daggers. With a shout, she thrust her arms forward, and the icicles shot ahead, impaling all four harpies. They dropped to the ground and screamed, but Via wasn't going to show mercy. The icicles pushed themselves deeper into the creatures. They croaked and howled, and finally, they stopped moving.

Via exhaled.

"You're too late," Khione snarled. "He's awake! And don't think you've won anything here, demigods. Hera's plan will never work. You'll be at each other's throats before you can ever stop us."