ELEVEN

•:•

•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•☾☼☽•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•
eleven
•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•☾☼☽•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•

VIA WOKE UP SCREAMING, free falling through the air. Far below she saw city lights glimmering in the early dawn, and several hundred yards away the body of the bronze dragon spinning out of control, his wings limp, fire flickering in its mouth like a badly wire lightbulb.

A body shot past her— Leo, screaming and frantically grabbing at the clouds. "Not cooooool!"

Via called out to him, but he didn't hear her. He was too far below.

Piper was a few feet away from her, falling at the same speed. She was dazed, as if she'd just woken up too.

Somewhere above her, Jason yelled, "Piper, Via, level out! Extend your arms and legs!"

It was hard to control her fear, but she did what he said and regained some balance. Then Jason was there, wrapping his arms around their waists.

"We have to get Leo!" She shouted.

Their fall slowed as Jason controlled the winds, but they still lurched up and down like a roller coaster.

"Gonna get rough," Jason warned. "Hold on!"

Via gripped his shoulder, and Jason shot to the ground. She could hear her own screams as if they were coming from someone else.

And then, thump! They slammed into another body— Leo, still wriggling and cursing.

"Leo, it's us! Stop fighting!" Via yelled.

"My dragon!" Leo shouted. "You gotta save Festus!"

Via could tell Jason was already struggling to keep the four of them aloft, so there was no way he could help a fifty-ton metal dragon. Before she could try to reason with Leo, she heard an explosion below them. Leo sobbed, "Festus!"

Jason's face reddened with strain. He groaned. "Guys, I can't—"

And they dropped like stones.

They hit the roof of the largest warehouse and crushed through into darkness.

Even though her mind was filled with fear, Via's muscle memory came through. Her legs remembered to curl up against her stomach, and her hands instinctively covered her face. She fell to the ground and rolled forward, effectively breaking her fall. Via stood up immediately, which wasn't a good idea. The ground swayed under her feet, and she fell forward. Someone caught her arm right before she hit the ground. She turned around and saw a familiar face.