63 | the brighest star

| meliorism |
chapter sixty-three

| meliorism |chapter sixty-three

҉  ҉  ҉

    There was something in the air, it wasn't just the breeze against her skin as they drove away, it wasn't the sensation of a newfound feeling, but it was something. Perhaps it was peace, or the quiet she had been given for the last couple of days. Whatever it was, it felt good.

    Her back was pressed against the seat, her head laying in her arm as she leaned into the window, watching the people go by. The soft music was playing in the background kept her in reality, but that didn't mean she slipped away into her mind for comfort. Although it felt strange having that new emotion, she didn't mind keeping it for a while.

    Her hand rose from her lap to the open window, swiftly moving it to feel the wind against it. It was a nice feeling it provided her, it felt like someone was holding her hand, a small reminder that she wasn't alone.

    When the car stopped in a designated spot, she let out a soft sigh. She sat up and unbuckled her seatbelt, a tired smile in her face.

    "You don't have to do this if you don't want you"

    Rhena shook her head. She needed a new way of coping, to let it all out, to free herself from the haunting past. Who knows, maybe it would help after all, just like Cade wanted.

    "I do" she turned to him, smiling lightly. He put a hand on his hand on her shoulder, giving her a squeeze "I'm fine, I promise"

    "No, you're not" Damon shook his head "but you will be"

    She chuckled, putting a hand on top of his "I will be"

    He smiled "I'll pick you up in a few hours, then"

    "I'll see you later" she took her purse and opened the door, but when she closed it, he called her name, making her stick her head into the window "yeah?"

    "I'm proud of you, Rhen" he smirked, causing her to smile. She closed the door and sighed as she took a few steps away from the car "love you!"

    "Love you more" she waved goodbye at him and watched him drive away before putting her hand against her chest and the other one gripping tightly around her bag.

Slowly, she turned to the building and released a shaky breath. Her eyes were glued to the ground, not making eye contact with anyone. When she entered the building, she simply signed in and went to sit by the plants.