Right through the heart

Dream and I stand across each other, happily surrounded by icy blue props and light, it was a coin toss between the mercury and Neptune arena since all the others were full. Neptune won and quite frankly I didn't mind, it was minty and pretty.

"Alright space rangers!!" A teenage girl who wouldn't be older than 18 stood in the middle of the room hands on her hips, fire in her eyes. "No pushing no shoving no running, if you break these rules your blaster will turn off for 5 seconds! No exceptions." She glares at a small 12 year old boy who smiles sheepishly and shifts nervously when her eyes pierce through him. Scary. "Besides that you can score points by hitting the jackets or directly striking an enemy base, but be careful, after you destroy a base your vest is worth 5 times the amount of points it usually is for ten seconds, giving your enemies the chance to get a jackpot from you depending on which light sensor they shoot, the one on your heart being worth the most points. Bases can only be destroyed once. Alright time to put on the jackets!"

I rush over to the green jackets and pull one off of it's hanger, the plastic of the light receptors clacking against itself. I slip it on and fumble with the clips for a few seconds before groaning. "Dream, this stupid shit won't clip."

He walks over to me in a purple vest, blaster hanging down his left side (the plan was to stay on the same team but the teams got split weirdly). "It's not that hard, cmere I'll show you" he pulls my body towards him by the clips of my vest and stands almost too close to me. I thank whatever god is up there for the dim lighting, he clearly would've noticed my face burning up.

"Is it broken?" My voice coming out a little weaker than intended , I was a surprised but ignore it and focus on dreams hand fumbling with the clips until a very sharp click finally sounded.

"No it was just twisted in a weird way" he mumbles to himself and suddenly tightens the straps to my body, i let out a small Yelp. "You ok?" He cocks an eyebrow and smiles mischievously.

"Y- yeah!" I sputter out. I grab a hold of my blaster tightly, "sucks we aren't on the same team though".

"Maybe it's not such of a bad thing, I'd probably carry your ass like I always do!" He lets a small laugh and grabs a hold of his gun walking towards the door that leads to the arena.

The girl leads the purple team in first. I take this opportunity to look at the tiny map on the wall showing all the obstacles. I knew Dream would be on the offensive , it was something he was pretty good at, to be honest he's good at defense too but he had a better time taking ground rather than just holding it.

I turn to the group of kids arguing on how they're going to attack, and who's staying on base. " we should split in the team in half just in case" an older boy around 15 says to the rest, "we're gonna lose if we don't have people guarding it."

"They probably aren't even going to attack though! It's better if  we all go and we just leave one person!" It's the same 12 year old from earlier.

"We're gonna need exactly three people to guard from each side of the base that's open, so three of us have to stay, the rest of the five can go and attack." The group of kids look at each other but then nod in agreement. "Four of you have to defend the one and make sure that you knock out any person who tries to attack them for ten seconds, then it's back to our base."

The girl comes back and leads us into our base, it has three open sides with a small light sensor at the very top. "What happens if they get our base?" The older kid turns to me holding on to the blaster.

"The person attacking will most likely be the guy who came in with me, he's not the type to pass the opportunity up so we should be good." I smile reassuringly.

"So you're gonna shoot your boyfriend? That's messed up."

"He's not my boyfriend." I scoff at him as my face turns bright red. He glances at me and shrugs while he adjusts his straps. I narrow my eyes at him. "Besides, he deserves it, he literally kicks my ass at everything else"

"Still messed up if you ask me."

The robotic voice on the speaker counts down from ten, we decided that I would be one of the people staying back and guarding along with the two kids from earlier, the rest made their way to the other side once the voice reached one.

Surprisingly enough, Dream wasn't one of the people who came to attack, I crouched and peaked over the corner of a wall, shooting at the kids who came by, watching them mumble and groan every time they're hit. They manage to land a few shots on me but don't manage to get far before the other two come and blast them, deactivating their vest for 3 seconds.

The announcer voices the 30 second mark, my vest blasts off and I whip around to look behind me, Dream laughs like a maniac. He hits the boys next, not missing a beat before destroying our base and makes a run for it.

I turn and shout at the boys after they reactivate "I'm going after him!" I bolt towards his direction as they shout a brief 'okay' back at me.

I'm stuck in a maze of dark blue walls with scattered teal spots of light coming from a projector over head. A flash of white peaks out of the corner of my eye, 5 seconds left before I miss my chance. I lunge at him and knock him to the ground.

Now I don't know how the hell it happened but Dream managed to turn and flip me over so I'm under him. I look up at him kneeling over me, he's wide eyed and bright red. The green light from my vest accented his facial features so beautifully. I could see perfect shadows and a hint of freckles dusting his cheekbones and the bridge of his nose.

Without really knowing why I start to run my hand up his vest and make my way to his neck, brushing my fingers over his skin. His breath hitches and he tenses, breathing increased as his face turns a deep crimson. Before I'm too far gone I grab his collar and pull him down, shooting the light sensor over his heart.

"HA! I SHOT YA RIGHT THROUGH THE HEART!" I slump down and my body goes limp as I try to catch my breath, now realizing I was holding it in.

Dream quickly rolls of and slumps down on the floor right beside me.

I turn to him laugh bubbling out of my chest as he turns back to me in disbelief. He opens his mouth to speak but closes it just as quick. It's not until the buzzer rings 1 second after that he manages to talk.

"Y/n.... what the FUCK was that." He panics to himself as I stand and reach towards him to help him up.

I smirk, "how about we go check those scores."

We walk back to the small room putting our vests back on the charging stations, I run out before Dream and look up at the score board.

"That was complete bullshit you fucking liar you have played laser tag" Dream stands there dumbfounded as I smirk satisfied. My jacket number was first on the leaderboard and my team had won.