Chapter 36: Our Chance

*Y/N's POV*

It's been a couple days since my treacherous walk through the typhoon, my sweet first kiss with Nishinoya Yuu, and bravely opening up to the entire Karasuno volleyball team.

It's Saturday now, which sounds lovely, but unfortunately, classes start back up again on Monday, bringing our summer break to a skidding halt.

So. Exciting.

This afternoon we plan on persuading my mom to allow me to receive treatment. We figured it would be better to give her some time to cool off, as well as give us time to plan our discussion with her and how to approach it.

As it grew close to the meeting time, I felt the anxiety boiling up inside of me, leaving me sick to my stomach.

My mother acts all innocent and sweet around my friends, but as soon as they're out of sight, she transforms into the wicked witch of the west, the queen of hearts, Maleficent. No. Those petty villains got nothing on her.

"You okay?" Tobio asked, snapping me out of the anxious thoughts whirring through my head. "Hey. It'll be okay. Even if she still doesn't understand or if she lashes out, we will protect and defend you, alright?" He comforted me with a warm hug, wrapping his long arms around my tiny frame, resting his chin on top my head.

Tobio gently swayed me side to side as he held me in his arms, until his phone started ringing. Lifting his chin off my head and one arm still wrapped around me, he answered the call.

When he hung up, he pulled away from our hug and made direct eye contact with me. "Suga called. They're here."

Oh god. I didn't think the anxiety I was feeling could get worse, but somehow, it just did. It was like a dark, shadowy creature creeping up on my bright ray of happiness, ready to pounce and dissipate any light left shining.

The twisted lurking monster of anxiety leapt, extinguishing every last bit of illumination.

Shit. I can't do this.

As we walked out the bedroom door, Tobio latched onto my arms from behind and gently rubbed my shoulders in an attempt to settle my trembling body.

I plodded down the creaky stairs and opened the front door. Expecting to only see three boys, instead, Kuroo, Bokuto, and Akaashi tagged along with Koushi, Yuu, and Tōru.

"Hey little kitten," Kuroo greeted me.

"Surprised to see us?" Bokuto flashed me a huge smile.

Akaashi gave me a light, but warm smile with a small wave. Awe, it's adorable when he smiles.

I looked over at Koushi who was smiling proudly to himself. "I invited them to join us. When I told them what was going on, they were more than willing to travel from Tokyo to help."

"Omg guys... that's so sweet," I squealed. Honestly, I don't deserve such amazing friends.

"Y/N... honey, who's at the door?" my mom called out to me. I took in a big gulp, preparing for the storm that was about to downpour.

I shuffled into the living room, followed by the seven boys. There she was, sitting neatly on the reclining chair, straight posture and crossed legs, reading a sophisticated novel. Her springy dark curls cascaded over her shoulders, cutting off just above her hips. Her round framed reading glasses slipping down the bridge of her nose as her blue eyes, matching mine and my brother's, wandered over the tinted page in front of her.

She closed the book lightly, placed it on the small wooden table next to her, slid the reading glasses off, and gracefully set them on top the book. She neatly folded her hands in her lap, finally providing attention to my many guests.