Chapter 22 (Battling Suspense)

The rocky surface of the ground did not make it any easier for them to walk uprightly.

Those backpacks they wore suitable for a hiking trip seemed like deadweight. So much for bringing everything and anything with them, from toiletries to board games.

Their impaired vision was aided by the generated gleams of the pen lights they held like little wands which they swung in every direction. They should have carried bigger flashlights in their possessions due to the viewable scope that was limited. There was still no sign of a torch’s glow right ahead.

The guide did not say a word since they started and the mood was becoming daunting. All they heard were shaky breaths, unsteady footsteps, and the deafening echoes of a splash just beyond them.

Were they going to have a bumpy water ride?

If so, they were going to become pitifully wet with no forewarning.

Clyde had been antsy due to a tickly sensation he had felt on his back since they had entered blindly. It seemed that someone had been tailing him but every time he chose to direct his light to what was behind him, he would see nothing.

Would he be able to keep his composure that way?

“Psst…Sher…I need to talk to you.”

Sherwinn seemed so detached and unreachable.

“Sher…” Clyde impulsively tapped her shoulder.

She tilted her head to the right and sluggishly twisted it right on time for Clyde to see her bulging eyes and awful smile like some evil spirit. What was worse was the way the light eerily shone in her face, causing those shadows that deformed her features, stretching them disproportionally.

“Whaaaattt?”

Her voice was hideous and raspy and it made Clyde squat down to the floor in terror.

“Knock it off…Sher...please…don’t joke around…”

He was practically begging for his life and there he thought he was fearless. His knuckles turned white as he gripped his folded arms turning sore from covering his knees. His back ached simultaneously as he tried to keep his balance, not to be dragged down by his burdening bag.

He did not want to humiliate himself any further if he seemed like a turtle trying to turn over.

“Haha…so you wanna switch places with me?”

Clyde tried to stand up the first time but he fell on his butt miserably. Sherwinn reached out her hand in order to support him but he just ignored it. He clipped his pen light on his front pocket, propped himself using both of his hands but there was sharp pain with his soft skin against the hard rocks underneath.

He finally stood up in annoyance, wiggling the dust off his clothes and just stayed to where he was. He rotated his wrists to see the reddish pressed marks on his palms but at least he did not scratch himself. The last thing he needed was to appear so weak in front of a girl. Oh, he had just done it.

“No. I’ll keep my place, thank you very much.”

Sherwinn oddly looked sincere this time who still left her hand hanging in case he would grab it. She would always light-heartedly apologize or give him trouble afterwards.

Was she getting affected just like him?

“You’ve got some attitude huh? Suit yourself.”

The moment she turned back, she just realized that Aeddie was not in front of her anymore, neither were the others evidently. That was to be expected since who would stop when they were in hurry to get out?