Chapter XVIII

Chapter 18: Your life

The shift felt longer than usual. Usually, I enjoy night shifts because it's quiet after 9 pm. After that, customers only come for drinks, especially during the week, excluding the weekend.

And, of course, we have to clean the whole place up for morning shifters, and that might take at least one hour because we tend to stay talking or playing around despite all of us being super tired and in need of sleep.

However, I wasn't feeling tired even though the evening felt long. Maybe I just had so much in my mind that focusing on working wasn't my priority.

I'm just lucky that our boss isn't here tonight. If he saw us being this dull and not as customer service should be, he wouldn't be happy about it.

And it wasn't helping that Taehyung was texting me practically every ten minutes, checking if I was okay. How does this differ from my being in school? He doesn't text me there so often. I was already getting super frustrated.

''What are you sighing here so loud?'' one of my coworkers came to ask. ''I know it's a bit quieter than usual, but you're not the one being like this. What's wrong?''

Minah was the only one from my workplace who knew I was dating Taehyung, so it wasn't an easy job to find a good excuse for him. ''Um, I just-''

''Hey, Y/n! I need your help!'' I heard Minah yelling behind my coworker. Thank you.

''It's just school stress, don't worry about it,'' I made up a quick lie to him and walked with Minah to the break room.

''Thank you, you saved my ass,'' I thanked her once we reached the room. ''I'm not ready to tell them regarding how close I am with them. I feel like this is all new, and even the world doesn't know yet.''

Minah nodded in understanding. She might have seen me in that situation or overheard our conversation and decided to help me get out of it.

''Have you told him that you're perfectly fine? Should I call him and say she is in good hands?'' Minah smirked, and I laughed.

''Oh no, don't,'' I tried to hold my laugh. ''He could take it in a wrong way and think something is wrong here.''

I felt bad for making fun of Taehyung's fears. Maybe I'm not just seeing it the way he is, and I see it as if everything is okay.

But everything isn't okay. How can I joke about the fact that Taehyung was involved with a gang because his relatives had a debt to them? The gang was dangerous and threatened him with a life. They kidnapped me to get to him.

And there is no certainty that all of the gang members have been caught. Who knows how vast they have spread and how many people there are. I understand Taehyung's worry because they might take revenge on us.

But like I have told him myself more than once, I cannot live my life normally if I need to be aware of everything.

There is no certainty that someone will come after us, but I want to be able to continue my life.

I'm surprised about myself too while talking with Minah about this. I take this whole thing so calmly. The only thing I'm worried about is how this all ends.

But Minah has been worried about my mental state when it comes to how I dealt with the fact that I was kidnapped and tortured a bit. Like why am I not freaking out every time someone tries to get my attention?

Or when I walk home alone, aren't I scared.

''I would be'' Minah keeps saying, and to be honest I don't know. I'm not a coward, I have never been, but should I have some mental effects?