Chapter 5: The Doll

(The picture at the top is Scott)

Scott was walking around the house thinking about where to get Angela a doll when Brenda walked in.

"What are you thinking about?" she asked.

Scott frowned. "Kiddo wants a doll. It sounds a little odd to me but she told me she wanted one."

Brenda frowned too. "A DOLL?!" she said with a little attitude. "She doesn't need a doll!" At that moment the doorbell rang.

Scott opened the door to see a mailman standing there. The mailman gave him the mail and walked back to his truck.

Scott was leafing through them until Brenda snatched it from his hand.

She scanned through the mail. "Bill, bill, bill. Ooo paycheck. Bill, bill..... And an advertisement to Madame Ooga's magic shop."

The ad said she was selling Antics, magic spell, potion books, many different kinds of dolls, and lots more stuff.

Brenda looked closely. "Maybe we could get her a doll there but we don't have a coupon."

Scott rolled his eyes. "What do we need a coupon for? Let's just go and get her the doll."

Brenda frowned. "What is the point of her even getting a doll? What does she need it for?"

Scott sighed. "Honey you know that she gets really lonely around the house since I'm always working and you never spend time with her. She just needs something to take care of and talk to. Let's just drive by and check it out."

Brenda clapped and exclaimed "Oooo! Great! Now we can go shopping for shoes!!"

Scott sighed. "Didn't you already go shopping?"

But by the time he finished his sentence, Brenda was already in the car.

********

When they got there, it was raining and storming. The store was just a small building with big purple lights flickering. "Madame Ooga's magic shop."

"What a dump!" Brenda shrieked. "It's so creepy here. I'm not going on there! My heels will get scratched up!"

Scott took one long look at her and simply said "Then take them off."

Brenda looked back at him. "Are you crazy! Then my feet will get dirty!"

Then Scott rolled his eyes again and said "No one likes a drama queen. And who wears heels on a stormy day anyways?"

"Well you married me." Brenda said. So Scott just picked her up and carried her into the shop.

Once they got inside, they looked around for Madame Ooga. Ancient stuff was everywhere on shelfs. There was a bunch of other weird stuff. They looked around, wide eyed with terror.

Then suddenly a crippled, wrinkly old lady stumbled over to them. "I am Madame Ooga and how may I-"

She was interrupted by Brenda who was ranting "Ooga?! Who names their child Ooga? That's a terrible name and why do you look all wrinkly? I gotta give you some of my cream!"

Madame Ooga looked at Brenda. "I'm old. That's what happens to old people."

Scott interrupted before Brenda could say anything. "Anyways, we are here to ask you if you sell any dolls? My daughter really wants one."

Madame Ooga looked happy. "Yes we have all types of dolls! Follow me."

She stumbled to a corner and flicked on a light on the other side of the room. There were a lot of dolls but the one that caught his eye was a beautiful blond haired doll with blue eyes, long eyelashes, and pink lips. The clear glass box she was in had scratches on it. She had her little hand on the case.

"What about this one?" Scott asked. Madame Ooga turned to stare. She looked frightened. "Oh you don't want that one. She is not really for sale. There is... something wrong with her. I am very serious."

Scott looked exasperated and sighed. "Oh come on! If my daughter wants a doll then she is gonna get one! I love her more than anything! I'm willing to risk anything with this doll, as long as my daughter is happy."

Madame Ooga rolled her eyes. "Fine you can have her. But don't say I didn't warn you."

She stumbled to the shelf and pulled the box off of the shelf and handed it to Scott. Brenda looked up from her phone and said "Okay good lets go now." She sounded bored.

Scott looked at the doll and smiled. "How much?" He asked Madame Ooga. "$5000 dollars." she replied.

Scott dropped his wallet. Madame Ooga shrugged. "What? I got bills to pay. Plus there are no refunds."

Brenda took his wallet and handed Madame Ooga the money.

When they walked out, Brenda giggled and jumped. "Now we can go shopping!" Then she dragged him into the car.

********

20 pairs of shoes later, they went back home.

When they got there, Angela was on the couch reading a book. Scott smiled at her. "Hey kiddo! We got something for you." He set the box on her lap. She looked down expecting a pair of heels from her mom or something.

Angela examined it carefully before slowly opening it and when she tore off a little piece, she saw the dolls face. She eagerly ripped open the rest.

"This is for ME? I can't believe it! Thank you!" She smiled a wide grin. Scott smiled while Brenda rolled her eyes.

"Of course! I know that you get a little lonely around the house so I got you this." He suddenly rememebered what Madame Ooga said.

"Oh and the store owner said that her name was Sally."

Angela smiled. She liked that name.

She tried to open the box but it had a huge lock on the side. "It won't open. It's locked."

He struggled to open it then gave up. Angela frowned a little and that made Scott worry. He didn't want to let her down, so he got his box of tools and popped the lock off.

When he opened the box, it smelled like something dead. "Ew!" Angela shrieked. Scott just stared at it for a minute.

He said "No problem" and tossed it in a bucket of lemon scented cleaning liquid that their maid must have left out while cleaning. But when he threw it in the bucket, Angela swore she heard a low whimper.

A few hours later, they took the doll out and she looked brand new but a little paler like she got faded by the liquid. The doll had a sad look on its face.

Angela frowned. "You must be lonely. I'm lonely too but guess what, we can be best friends forever!"

She saw a small smirk on the dolls face.