Riding To The Sunset..... with a bag full of cookies

By; Elica on a03

“OK, pumpkin. Let see if we got all we need.”

Derek crouched down, smiling tiredly as Thomas opened his backpack. His son's little voice began listing all the stuff he had put in there just two hours ago: “my photo book for Aunt Laura and Uncle William, my drawings for grandpa and grandma, my book, a bottle of orange juice, my lunch box, a notebook and crayons, Peter the Rabbit and Marilou.”

“Marilou, Thomas? We said you could only take one of your cuddly toys, didn't we?”

Marilou was a bright pink and orange owl that Thomas -meaning Derek and uncle Boyd- won at the funfair just four months ago. Thomas just smiled shyly at his dad, in a way that made Derek think of his mother. It was a painful thought, since Thomas' mother was all but shy and cute and gentle, but still... she had had her moments, and Thomas' smile was one of them.

“Marilou is for me. You said I could have one toy for me, so I just have one!”

“So why is Peter in there?”

Peter was the birth present for Thomas. Offered by no one else than Peter Hale, Thomas great uncle, a toy that cost like one hundred bucks and has been place on a shelf for the majority of Thomas' early years, until the boy ordered the rabbit to sleep with him. It never left his side since then, even staying hidden in his backpack the two first years of preschool.

“Peter is for Lilly.”

Derek's heart broke a little, though he would never admit that.

“But Peter is your favorite toy...”

“Yeah and he protected me! He's a superhero. And you told me that Lilly was sick so she can have him.”

“Ok. So, what about a hot cocoa before we take the bus?”

Thomas' smile widened and he quickly close his bag. Derek had one of his own, with Thomas' blanket, two warm sweaters, one for him and one for Thomas, a first aid kit and anything that could be useful during their eleven hours' trip.

They were going back to Beacon Hills for Christmas. But since Thomas was deadly afraid of planes, and that Derek would never miss a man-to-man -or man-to-boy- experience, they chose to take the bus.

Christmas was the only holiday Derek have been able to afford, and all thanks to Boyd, who agreed to continue working during the week. So it was also the first time that they would meet Laura's little girl Lilly. The baby was just three months old and had a bad case of sickness. Endless sicknesses since her birth and her parents were exhausted. They weren't dangerous: a flu, a small fever, digestive problems. They were just... endless. Derek was lucky with Thomas. The boy had been extremely quiet for years, but his health was quite perfect.

The bus station was located near a little dinner. Thomas had already had his burger and salt-free fries for dinner there. They bought one cocoa and one coffee from the young student girl working there and got out.

The sun was already down on the sky, announcing the night. Street lamps began to light up and they could still hear the noise of the traffic behind the trees and gates separating the bus station from the highway.

One bus entered the car park as they drank their beverages.

“Is it ours?” asked Thomas.

Derek squinted his eyes, reading the sign on the vehicle.

“No. This one comes from Texas, Houston. I think it's going to rest here for a little while.”

“How far is Houston?”