Thank You For This Dance (part two)

By; maltidajones

“I hope you are looking forward to dinner tonight, Lord Hale,” Miss Reyes says. She smiles widely and gestures to all the food that she is preparing on the table. “Your husband’s friend deserves the best for his last night here.”

Derek smiles gratefully at her. “Thank you.”

“Mr. McCall is very friendly,” Miss Reyes says. She lifts her chin. “I do not care that he is another servant.”

Derek raises an eyebrow, taking a step backwards. “I must get back to the library. Stiles is waiting for me.”

She smiles, pouting slightly. “Thank you for visiting. I thought you had forgotten about us.”

Derek runs a hand through his hair. He has known Miss Reyes a long time, since before his parents died. He feels guilty for being so distracted, for spending so much time with Stiles and Scott and forgetting some of his other duties. “I will try and come down here more often.”

Miss Reyes’ smile widens, and she claps her hands. “That is nice to hear. I have not spoken with you since before your wedding, and that was weeks ago!”

Derek looks down, feeling his cheeks go pink. “It has been a busy time.”

“Yes,” she says. “I am very happy for you, sir.”

“Thank you,” Derek tells her, and he thinks of Stiles. It’s been a fine two weeks, and Stiles has been smiling but his eyes have dimmed now that his friend is leaving.

He leaves Miss Reyes and heads to the library. Stiles is curled up against the cushions, a book on his lap. Derek watches him for a few moments, admires the moles over his cheek.

“Do you want me to –”

Stiles looks up. He closes his book and places it on the table, not even bothering to mark his page. Derek takes a breath. They have not spoken about Stiles’ ability to read or write since the picnic, and Stiles has deliberately not mentioned it.

When Derek does not say anything, Stiles sighs.

“Scott is leaving.”

“Yes,” Derek says. “I wish he could stay longer.”

“You do?”

Derek nods, and Stiles lets himself look surprised for only a moment. Then his fingers start to tap against his knees, moving rapidly, and a frustrated noise comes out of his mouth.

“Stiles?”

He grits his teeth together, barely looking Derek in the eye. Derek sits down next to him, unsure. He reaches out a hand to touch, to calm, but he is not sure if he is welcome. Derek puts his hands in his lap.

Stiles throws his head back and groans. Derek sees the column of his throat and thanks the fact they are alone. “Derek,” he hisses. “What am I supposed to do here? You are busy; Scott is going, tell me what I am meant to do. I need to do something.”

Derek swallows, and then Stiles is looking at him with pleading his eyes.

“What did you do at Lady Burton’s?” Derek asks.

Stiles blinks, and then he sits back. He laughs without humor and it’s not nice seeing Stiles like this, not when he has been acting so light and free over the past two weeks. “I kept to myself,” he says shortly.

Derek says nothing. He gathers his thoughts, keeping his eyes on Stiles’ face until Stiles squirms from the attention.

“Please say something.”