First Comes Love

By: MelodramaticSalad

Derek didn't have time to deal with any romance nonsense. Between his writing career and his daughter, his focus was limited.

"It's not a date. A romantic date anyways, it's a play date. His kid is Jesse's age and the sweetest boy. If you get bored, you can just go wander off or something." Laura had told him, crossing her arms over his chest. "You've been holed up in your study lately, so I think Jesse would be up for some time with you and a new friend too."

And that's how they ended up in front of a random house. Derek sighed and glanced at his phone, the GPS helpfully chiming in that they'd arrived at their destination.

"Daddy, look! They have Batman curtains!" Jesse shrieked in delight as she pointed at the living room windows.

Derek followed her gaze and chuckled before he got out of the car so he could help her out of her seat. "That's pretty cool. Remember, the kid is kind of shy so we'll see how it goes."

"I know. He likes comic stuff, so that means he's probably cool anyways. I can be friends with him." Derek smiled wider at his six-year-old's enthusiasm.

"I'm glad you think so." He replied as he grabbed her Captain America backpack and shut the car door.

Jesse led the way the front door, bouncing up the porch steps before she knocked a random tune against the door.

"One second!" A man's voice called from inside. A few seconds later, the door opened and a boy looked up at Derek. The boy had a mop of brown hair, bright amber eyes, and freckles scattered on his light cheeks.

He looked between Jesse and Derek before looking back down the hall. "Dad, it's them!"

"So let them in." The guy called back.

The boy nodded and opened the door wider before waving at them. "Hi, I'm Andy." He said in a soft voice, tugging at his Spider-man shirt.

"Hi Andy, I'm Jesse." Jesse smiled at him before her eyes lit up as they entered the home. "You like Batman and Spider-Man?"

Andy's eyes widened in surprise before he nodded. "I love them."

"That's so cool, I love superheroes! Which one is your favorite? Mine's Captain America!"

"I think Spider-Man is my favorite."

Derek was happy to see the kids bonding already and glanced up when a new person strolled in. Attractive was the word he would instantly use for the young man.

He almost looked too young to have a son Andy's age, but Derek figured he was just being judgmental. Almost everything about Andy was identical to his father, from his hair and eyes to some of the moles on his face.

The man grinned at Derek and offered a hand out to him. "Thanks for coming, I'm Stiles."

Derek nodded and shook his hand. "It's nice to meet you, I'm Derek."

Stiles nodded and smiled widely as he let go. "Sorry, I was just finishing making them some treats. Laura told me that Jesse has no allergies to anything, that's correct right?"

Derek nodded in confirmation. "That's correct."

Stiles grinned and gave two thumbs up before turning back around and going to the kitchen. He returned promptly with a serving platter, crouching down so he could show Jesse. "I made you guys some cool treats. I'd heard you liked superheroes, especially Cap."

Jesse gasped at the tray and bounced excitedly on her feet. The tray was covered with superhero themed treats. There were flawlessly decorated shield cookies, Batman cookies, and even ones of Iron Man's mask. "That's so cool! How did you make these?"