Thank You For This Dance

By: maltidajones

Summary:  Derek picks up another glass of champagne, and that’s when he sees him. A man stands at the edge of the room, chewing his lip and staring at the dance floor longingly.

Every person walks past him. Derek must have done it a hundred times this evening.
--
Derek is not one for dancing, but at a ball he meets Stiles, an orphan, and he becomes quickly attached. He does not care what other people think about Stiles' wealth and status, but it's a lot harder for Stiles to ignore the comments that have haunted him his whole life.

It's even harder to convince Stiles that Derek's feelings are genuine.

Work Text:

“Derek, it’s a ball.”

Derek glares at his sister, gripping the side of the carriage. Laura’s dress is taking up most of the room and she doesn’t seem to care that they’re moving very fast over the bumps and holes in the road.

“I’m aware it’s a ball, Laura. You have been talking about it for months.”

Laura sighs and touches his arm. “Please.”

Derek looks out the small window. They used to be happy; they used to go to balls simply to dance all evening and eat exquisite food. Now that their parents have died, Laura hasn’t let go of the idea of seeing her brother married.

“You can’t do everything on your own, Derek.”

“I have managed perfectly well for the past four years.”

Laura smiles a little. “Yes. You have.”

Derek sighs. “But it’s not good enough and even though I have you to help me with the estate, I need a wife.”

Laura sits up a little straighter, a spark in her eyes. “Or a husband.”

He immediately blushes.  Ever since Derek told his sister his... preferences, she hasn’t let it go. Derek only told her so that she would stop talking to him about getting married. But she didn’t bat an eyelid and always said that Derek could adopt children.

She just wants him to get married.

She just wants him not to be alone.

“One person,” Laura says.

“What?”

“Please dance with at least one person, and I will let you do whatever you want for the rest of the night,” she says.

Derek rubs his face. He feels the carriage pull to a stop. They’re here.

“Fine.”

Laura squeals, clapping her hands. For a moment Derek feels happy that she’s happy. Then he steps out of the carriage, taking his sister’s arm. He wonders what the night will bring.

**

Derek can’t find a single person to dance with, and he can see Laura fretting at the edge of the room. There are too many people here, too many to choose from, and Derek feels suffocated. He doesn’t introduce himself to anyone even though they give him interested looks.

Derek picks up another glass of champagne, and that’s when he sees him. A man stands at the edge of the room, chewing his lip and staring at the dance floor longingly.

Every person walks past him. Derek must have done it a hundred times this evening.

Derek steps a little closer and sees the tatty state of his clothes, too big and frayed at the edges. Ah. So he’s poor.

Derek doesn’t know he’s been staring until the man glances at him, nostrils flaring. Then he glares at Derek and his eyes catch the candle light, turning a brilliant amber color. It’s fierce and beautiful all at once and Derek’s throat goes dry.