Chapter 1 - Expect the unexpected.

"Ara, I was not expecting to see you here, I thought you were coming tomorrow," my mom said, clearly surprised by my appearance. She was lying down on her bed, watching My secret romance on tv.

It was 11:35 AM, and I came back from Busan, giving my presentation to the investors for launching the new designs of jewels of my mother's company. I wrapped up everything today as soon as possible just so that I could spend some time with my mom.

"I finished all my work there, I wanted to see you," I said making her smile at me.

"I missed you," I said while hugging her. She didn't smell like how she used to, she looked weaker, and smelled more like medicines, but that was not going to give me a reason to break down. I knew that I had to be strong, for her, for me and for us.

"Awww, I missed you too honey, but you were gone only for a week and I know how important this deal was for the company, I'm sure you're doing a good job and I am super proud of you," she said as we broke from the hug. She held my hands, rubbing it with her thumb and looking at me proudly.

"Of course you are, aren't I an amazing daughter?" I said dramatically flipping my hair which made her laugh.

"Yes you are, you're the bestesttttt daughter anyone could ever ask for," she said.

"And you're the bestestttttt mother anyone could ever have," I said.

She looked pale, she didn't look like the woman I knew. I wanted to cry, but I had to be strong. She wouldn't be happy to see the tears in my eyes.

"So, how are you doing today?" I asked.

"I'm amazing, now that you're here," she said. My mother was my inspiration, I always wanted to grow up to become a woman like her. She was the best mother, an amazing daughter and a wonderful wife.

"You know Ara.." she said looking out of the window, still holding my hand. "I know how difficult it is for you to handle everything, there will be a lot of difficulties, but never give up, okay?"

I nodded with a smile, "I will never ever give up mom."

"Having some quality mother daughter time, I see?" I heard the most annoying voice ever. I turned around to give the fakest smile to the person leaning against the door, dressed in a grey armani suit.

"Dad" I acknowledged my step-dad.

"You didn't tell me you were coming today Ara," he said as he sat on the edge of the bed opposite to me and gave my mother a kiss on her cheek, making her smile and blush.

My step dad and I didn't have the best relationship, we're basically living under the same roof just for my mother and I very well know hat he doesn't love my mom. He's only with her for her money. He own a company of his own and is rich himself, but is one greedy man who's after my mother's company.

"Yeah, I wanted to surprise mom," I said.

"That's nice, but now, it's time for medicines," He said which made mom's face turn sour immediately. "I really don't like it's taste, it even smells like vomit"

I laughed, "Come on, mom. Don't be a baby now, you have to get better."

She raised an eyebrow at me. "Oh really? You want to taste it?"

"I'm good" I said, raising my hands in surrender.

After mom took her medicines, she fell asleep in some time. My dad said he needed to talk to me about something and I followed him out of the room.

"I need you to come with me to the meeting today now that you're here," he said.

I rolled my eyes. "What makes you think that you can order me around?"