Chapter 6: Come Home

I woke up at around 6AM to the uneasy feeling of being watched. I crept around the large house looking for any possible sign that someone had been here, but I came up empty. I must just be imagining things. I suddenly remembered that not far from where I'm staying at, Alice and Jasper had purchased a little cottage for when they wanted to spend some time away from the family. I wondered if it were worth it to call and ask her if I could stay there for awhile, to risk giving up where I was staying. Oh who am I kidding? I'm being absolutely ridiculous. 

 I picked up my phone from the bedside table and began to tap Alice's number into the keypad. Before I could finish typing her number, my phone lit up. She was calling me. Typical. How did I not see that one coming? She's probably known where I've been this entire time.

"Of course you can!" She said, already having seen in her mind what I was thinking about doing. 

"Does that mean you've always known where I am?" I laughed, getting dressed in jeans and a navy blue shirt. I laced my shoes up and then proceeded to pack everything else up into the two small bags I'd brought with me. I'd packed light because deep down I think I knew that I couldn't stay away from home for too long, or from him for that matter. 

"Our little secret." She chirped and I could tell she was smiling. "Besides, I'd much rather you stay at my house if you are going to be in Georgia. I had it built in an area far away from civilization, and I made sure to have it built in an area with a lot of wildlife." She seemed elated that I would be somewhere familiar, somewhere that is still home in all technical aspects. 

"Well thank you. How is everyone?" I asked as I grabbed my bags and walked down to the large kitchen. I tossed them on the table and walked over to the large island, grabbing a notepad and a pen. I scrawled a quick letter for Candace. 

-

Candace, thank you so much for allowing me to stay with you these past few weeks. I have decided to stay at Jasper and Alice's house not from here, if you arrive home soon please pay me a visit. 

With love, Renesmee. 

"A lot of moping around, everyone misses you. It's weird without you here." She said solemnly. I couldn't help but frown. I hated myself for hurting everyone like this. "Ness, I need to ask you a question.." she began and I could tell whatever was coming was serious by the tone of her voice. 

"What's wrong?" I responded quickly. 

"Nevermind." Her voice had gone cold and she retracted whatever she was about to say. What's wrong with her? Alice knows that she can come to me whenever something is on her mind, doesn't she?

"Alice, it sounded important." I said softly with concern swimming within my voice. I traced my fingertips against the cold marble counter, trying to control the sudden anxiety that was quickly crawling up my throat. Something isn't right and something is definitely wrong, but I can tell that for now Alice isn't saying anything. 

"Renesmee, everything's okay! I was just going to ask you if you were going to come home for Christmas." She's lying. I don't have to be a genius to figure that one out. But, maybe she has her reasons. Christmas suddenly danced through my mind and I felt a pang of pain strike my chest. This would be the first christmas I spent without them. Without him... I shook the thought away as quickly as it came and focused my energy on remaining as emotionless as possible. 

"I'm really not sure, Alice. I don't want Jake getting the wrong idea and thinking everything is fine if I come back. I still have to figure things out and if I see him I don't think I'll ever be able to leave again." I gulped. My relationship with Alice had always been this easy. I could always be honest with her and not have to play 50 questions about my emotions if I dared to say something raw or emotional. She understood and never offered unsolicited advice that she knew I wouldn't want.