25- Cal

Cal July 6, 2020

My eyes are closed, but I am awake. I've noticed the young CNA, Lexie, doesn't talk as much if I pretend to be asleep. She is always rattling on about the strangest things, and I'm hoping for a little quiet today. My head hurts, and I have no way to communicate it. I thought for a second that Jamie noticed I was in pain when she was in this afternoon, but then she just kissed the top of my head and told me that she'd be back in 2 days.

"Hey, sleepyhead. Looks like you're stuck with me for a few more hours. Lexie got a flat and is running late."

Hi honey. I'm glad you're here. My head hurts so badly.

"You don't look very comfortable," she says as she adjusts the bed and sits me up. "Let's get a little something in you. You look dehydrated."

Oh no, not that goopy water stuff. At least let it be apple juice this time. That's tolerable.

Reading my mind, she grabs a carton of apple juice and pours it into a cup before adding the offensive powder. After she spoons the contents into my mouth, I start to feel a little better. Maybe I just needed something to drink.

"I've got a little downtime. What do you say we get around to unpacking those boxes?"

I suppose that would be fine, Jamie. Don't expect me to be much help, though.

She slides the closet open and pulls the boxes out, setting one on the chair she was just sitting in.

"This was a fun day." She holds out a picture of myself and the grandkids at the fair. My heart warms as I remember that day. I'd smile if my face allowed it. "I think this one is wall-worthy."

You are absolutely right, Jamie.

Jamie leaves and comes back a few minutes later with a hammer and tiny gold nail. "Borrowed it from maintenance, I won't tell if you don't."

After righting the picture on the wall, she pulls a crystal angel out. She had given it to me right after Barbie's accident. "Oh, I remember this. I didn't know you held on to it. It used to hang in your work truck, then it was just gone one day. My mom had one for her grandma. She said that when the light hit it just right, the rainbow reminded her that Grams was still around."

I took it down then the night I found out about the affair. I never told the kids about Barbie's indiscretions but seeing that little angel no longer brought me peace. I left every picture of Barbie and the kids on display but quietly took down the ones of her and me. I couldn't help but feel like there were lies hidden behind her eyes in all of them.

I never spoke to Robert again after that night. I sent one of my employees out to do the final inspection on that first youth center. I couldn't stomach the idea of looking at him. I was relieved when he left town a couple of days later to broaden his horizons. Things have worked out just fine with Dean being our go-between guy.

I also never drank again after that night, not that I had a problem before. It's just that terrible feeling of blacking out isn't something I want to experience again in this lifetime.

Jamie is telling me all about the party that Shannon threw for Sydney's 21st birthday. She is going on about the fireworks they set off when I see the small box that haunts me in her hand.

No Jamie. Put it back.

"This is pretty." She turns it over in her hands, looking for a name. "It looks hand carved. Who made this?" She tries to open it but the lid sticks.

Don't open that. Please don't open that!

She wiggles the lid until it pops open. She sucks in a shocked gasp. Her hands are shaking as she holds on to the keys attached to a tiny dreamcatcher keychain.

"Cal, why do you have Erin's keys?"