34-Seth

Seth August 18,2020

I've made arrangements for Erin's parents to pick Caleb and Morgan up from school so I can go be with Shannon at the hospital.  David and Eliza have been wonderful surrogate grandparents to the kids. Erin's disappearance made it impossible for them to have more grandbabies, so they accepted Sydney's siblings as their own. 

Shannon hasn't called or answered the phone, and she didn't text when she got to the hospital. The reception could give me no information other than that a Calvin Holt had arrived via ambulance. I have a sinking feeling in my chest, telling me that I need to be with my wife right now.

After searching the hospital for an hour to no avail, I decided to look for her on the find my phone app. I breathe a sigh of relief when I see the blip signaling that she is in the parking garage.

Five minutes later, I'm easing myself into her passenger seat.

"Hey Sunny, I've been looking all over for you." Her body is limp in my arms when I pull her against me. We sit like this, ignoring the constant ringing of our phones, her nearly comatose and me rubbing her back until the sky starts to darken. I tilt her chin up to catch her eyes. "I know you're hurting, but we need to talk to your brothers."

"You haven't talked to them?" She asks with more sadness than one person should have.

"No, I came looking for you when you didn't answer."

She wipes her face with the collar of her blouse. "Where are the kids?"

"David and Eliza have them." It dawns on me that I have not updated them. "I need to call them to let them know what's going on and to ask them to keep Cal's passing from the kids until we are back. I'll drive us home and have one of the guys come get my truck." I move to pull my phone from my pocket, and Shannon places her hand over mine, stopping me.

"Seth, they found Erin."