32- Shannon

Shannon August 18, 2020

I've been sitting at my desk for hours sifting through old paperwork. I can't find who did the final sign off for that first youth building. Someone dropped the ball, and if we are going to avoid being held liable, I need to know who.

I decide to take a break when Seth drops lunch on my desk, leaving me with a kiss and orders to relax. Jamie and Drew are planning a woodsy NYE wedding, so we don't have much time to pull the whole thing together. I'm pinning a white faux fur shrug on our shared Pinterest board when my phone rings.

"Hello?" I answer distractedly.

"Hi, this is Tonya, a nurse over at Rock Creek Care Center. Is this Shannon?"

"It is." I say, snapping to attention."Is my dad okay?"

"Well, that's why I'm calling. He had a cardiac event and was transported to the hospital down in Roseville. He was stable when the ambulance left 15 minutes ago."

"Are you saying that my dad had a heart attack?"

"It appears that way, yes."

I thank her for letting me know. Then call Seth. My voice is deceptively calm when I pass on what little information I have and tell him that he will need to pick the kids up from school. I assure him that I am okay to drive and will update him as soon as I get to the hospital.

There is a blank space where the drive to the hospital belongs, and I have no idea where I've parked my car. The blast of icy air to my face when the lobby doors slide open does little to clear the fog.

Since Dad's stroke, I have been afraid that he would die every single day. I pray that today is not that the day we lose him. I'm not ready. I know no one ever is, but still, I want more time.

My phone begins ringing in my hand. I'm startled by the noise and drop it. The sweat slicking my palms makes it hard to grasp, and it takes several tries to pick it up. By the time I do, it has quit ringing.

I'm alerted to a new voicemail. Before I can access it, my phone begins ringing again.

I can't talk right now. I need to find my dad.

____________________

I'm still hazy after speaking to the doctor. I realize that I didn't call Seth to let him know I was okay or my brothers to let them know dad had a heart attack.  I need to make some phone calls.

I'm digging through my purse in the hallway when someone in scrubs approaches.

"This was handed over in the lobby. I was just taking it to security, but I recognize you from the lock screen picture. You look a little out of sorts. Would you like me to bring you some water?"

"Thank you so much." I mutter, not sure if that's the proper response. Did I agree to water, thank him for returning my phone? I walk away not knowing where I am supposed to be now.

I have several unread messages and a voicemail. I guess Jamie heard about Dad at work.