35- Brandon

Brandon August 18, 2020

"Who's the good boy? Oh, yes, you are. You're the good boy. Okay, okay. Down." I push the beast off me. The world would be a better place if everyone come home to such an enthusiastic greeting after an exhausting day.

I have not had a minute to sit since getting shooed from the first job of the day. Murphy's Law was in full effect today. Everything that could go wrong did.

I have just pulled my boots off, and settled into my favorite spot on the couch when Gus starts barking, alerting me to an intruder. I groan as I think about lifting myself from the couch to go investigate. Before I can pull my tired body up, Drew taps on the door, pushing it open without waiting for an answer.

"Hey, Drew. Come on in, why don't ya?" I greet him sarcastically.

He pauses at the threshold, giving me an intense examination before shutting the door behind him. He must not have found what he was looking for because he seems apprehensive before speaking. Clearing his throat several times.

"Uh, I'm not really sure how to say this." He's crossed the room and is looking at the chair near the fireplace like he isn't sure if he should sit or not.

I gesture to the seat with my chin, "Sit down. Do you want something to drink?" I move to stand, and he stops me with a hand on my shoulder before perching on the edge of the couch beside me, like his bulky body is prepared to leap into a fight.

His eyes fill with some sort of pity that I can't make sense of. "Brandon- " His hand hasn't moved from my shoulder. In fact, his grip has become painful. I place my hand over his causing him to loosen, then quickly pull away. He swallows, his Adam's apple bobbing several times. "Erin was found today."

"Oh, okay. That's good. This is good news. Where is she?" The second the words leave my lips, I know. "It was her body this morning, wasn't it?"

"I'm so sorry."

"Fuck!" I yell into the air, pulling at my hair, as I fall back against my couch. "You're sure?"

My gaze is pulled from the ceiling a couple minutes later when my brother begins to awkwardly speak. "I'm sure. We don't know much yet, but I didn't want you to find out from the gossips."

"I appreciate that." Gus is anxiously pushing his massive head into my side, trying to offer me comfort. "How's Seth? Does Sydney know yet?"

"I just went by the house. No one is home, and neither Seth or Shannon are answering their phones." On cue, Drew's phone rings.

He looks at it for a second like he doesn't want to pick it up.

"Hey, Shannon." He pauses while she talks. "Yeah, I'm with him now. Uh-huh. No, I don't know."

'Where's you phone?' he mouths to me. I shrug and point in the direction of my driveway and mouth back with a shrug, 'Truck?'

"His phone is in the truck. We are at his house." His brows furrow as she speaks. "Okay, no we aren't going anywhere. Is Seth with you? Good. We will see you in a few minutes."