Ch 7: Long Distance

Flip drove you to the airport in silence. His gaze remained in front of him, staring out the windshield looking as detached as ever. It was as if he put up an emotional shield and you couldn't help but feel responsible. Because you were.

You told him you needed to leave after he asked you to stay for him. You had to at least see if it would work out in Salt Lake. Not only in an effort to recover your career but because Flip asking you to stay wasn't exactly a marriage proposal. The two of you hadn't even fully crossed into the committal side of your relationship. You were standing at the cusp of it and even though it was killing you to leave him, you wouldn't be able to forgive yourself if you stayed and it didn't work out between you two.

It was a decision you made based on logic, not emotion. Exactly how you're trained to think for your job. Halfway through the ride, Flip exhaled deeply and brought his hand over to rest on your leg. It was an olive branch. You placed your hand on top of his and stroked his hand with your thumb. His eyes never left the road ahead but you saw a soft smile form on the corner of his mouth.

As he pulled up to the airport's departure lane, you felt his hand squeeze your leg before releasing it to put the truck in park. You both sat motionless as the engine ran. The air was thick and quiet in the cabin. He finally looked over at you, and in response you locked eyes with him. He said nothing, eyes tired and unforgiving.

"I'm sorry. I really wan -..." You started but he stopped you.

"Don't. Just... don't." He said bluntly.

You retreated and reached for the door handle to step out in the cool night air

You retreated and reached for the door handle to step out in the cool night air. You walked around the bed of the truck to grab your suitcases, but he was already out of the truck and unloading them for you. He placed the last bag on the sidewalk and took a step back, looking up at the entrance. He took a deep breath and returned his gaze to you.

"Let me know when you land." He requested.

"Of course." You answered back. Eyes starting to feel wet again, you reached for him, hoping he wouldn't reject your need for a goodbye hug.

He didn't hesitate in wrapping his arms around you, embracing you closely into his chest. You took him in and closed your eyes. With your head resting on his chest you could feel and hear the beating of his heart pressed against your ear. A quiet sob escaped you as you exhaled and he released a sigh.

Placing a kiss on the top of your head he remained silent. You pulled away to glance up at him. His eyes appeared red but there was no indication of emotion other than disappointment. You felt such enormous guilt in leaving.

"Flip, please tell me you understand." You pleaded, needing to know that you were leaving on amicable terms. He released his embrace on you and looked up again as he let out another long sigh. He was holding back how he felt.

"I get it. I understand. I just don't like it." He responded while shoving his hands into his pockets, gaze falling to his feet. "It's just that... I don't want this to be goodbye for us." He admitted. "I need to know I'm going to see you again."