Ch 11: Leverage

Within two weeks Sara had gone back to Chicago, quit her retail job and started packing for her move. You were busy trying to find a new place for the two of you while also kicking butt at work. Chief Hopper seemed to be impressed by your ambition and started assigning you actual cases to work on. This was a huge step from the filing room. You finally felt like a real detective. You were being assigned a new partner who was also transferred in from another state.

As you stood in the breakroom, waiting for the coffee to finish brewing, you pulled out your phone to look back on the last text messages from Flip. You would do this on occasion whenever you missed him, which was about every hour of every day. You scrolled through the messages and smiled at your past conversations. They were usually short, but sweet and steamy. Phone sex had become a regular routine for you guys. You were getting pretty good at it and felt a sense of pride when you could make Flip cum hard from just the mere sound of your voice.

It had been weeks since you declared your love to him without any real reciprocation from his end. Even though Sara believed that he truly did love you, you remained skeptical until you heard it from his own lips.

You poured your coffee and rounded the break room corner when...BAM. You ran smack dab into someone and spilled your coffee. "Oh shit! Ahhh.. fuck that's hot." You hissed as you shook the hot coffee from your hand.

"Oh!!.. I'm so sorry. That's my fault. Are you alright?" A man's voice said as you tried to recover yourself. You looked up and saw a tall, sleek-looking guy. His hands were hovering over you as if he wanted to help but didn't know if he should touch you or not.

 His hands were hovering over you as if he wanted to help but didn't know if he should touch you or not

"Uhh, yeah. I'm okay. Just a little third-degree burn is all." You said, slightly annoyed.

He smiled. "I'm actually looking for Chief Hopper and thought maybe he might be back here in the break room. But I see he's not... unless... you're Chief Hopper?" He pointed at you with a crooked grin.

"Ha! Yeah, I think I have a few more years to go before I'm the chief of anything." You looked up at him as he smirked. He was certainly cute. Again, not really your type but not not your type either. "I'm [Y/N], by the way," you stuck your hand out to shake his.

His eyes kept locked on yours, "Jack Ryan. Nice to meet you." He shook your hand slowly.

Another voice came from down the hallway. "Oh hey!... good, good... you met each other. One less thing I gotta do around here." Chief Hopper approached you both looking disheveled, as usual. "[Y/N], this is your new partner. Be sure to show him around and whatnot." He gestured casually around with his hands. "Glad you made it into town safe, kid." He patted Jack on the shoulder. "Go ahead and get settled, and let [Y/N] know if you need anything." He finished before grabbing a doughnut. "Today is about coffee and contemplation." he continued as he walked away from you both and back into his office.

" he continued as he walked away from you both and back into his office