24th December 1995

When mami and papi were out with friends, I tried to catch Santa Clause. The babysitter had fallen asleep a long time ago and I remember hearing Santa coming up the front stairs so I hid in the coat closet. I had it opened just a crack so I could spy him dropping presents off.

I had expected Santa in red with a sack, not a man in black with a gun. I held my breath as the man quietly shot my babysitter on the sofa before heading further into the house. I didn't know what to do so I ran. I ran out the front door and down the streets until I was lost and exhausted. My feet were bleeding from running barefoot and I was shivering in my short pyjamas.

I hid in the tunnel of a playground I found. When the sun finally rose and I emerged from the tunnel I had no idea where I was. The houses looked different to mine, I didn't recognise any of them. A few children were making their way to the playground and I was confused, why weren't they at home opening presents?

A boy around my age saw me shivering and took his jacket off, leaving him in a thin singlet and jeans.

"What's your name? I'm Johnny. Are you new here?" He asked me softly as he put the jacket over my shoulders.

"I'm Lucy. I don't know where I am. I want to go home."

I cried and the boy stood awkwardly where he was, shifting from foot to foot.

"Come on then Lucy. We can walk around until we find your place."

The boy took my hand and lead me out of the rundown neighbourhood towards the nicer looking suburbs. We had been walking for hours and every part of my body was hurting. My stomach was cramping from hunger and I was beyond thirsty. A police car rolled along beside us slowly before parking ahead of us.

"Lucia? Are you Lucia Parada?"

I nodded to the officer who looked happy to see me. He spoke into his radio before getting a blanket from his car and wrapping it around me.

"Your parents will be here any minute Lucia. Are you hurt?"

I couldn't talk, I just wanted my mami and papi. Johnny stayed by my side until my parents arrived and then he was forgotten. I was uncomfortable with the tight hug I was in, they were crushing me and asking lots of questions.

"Where have you been? Are you alright? Who is that boy?"

I pushed at them until the released me and I could breath again.

"I saw a man with a gun so I ran like you told me to do papa. I don't know where I ran to, then Johnny gave me his jacket and helped me find my way here."

My parents looked at the boy then and he looked down at his tattered shoes shying away.

"Let's get the little hero home, I'm sure his parents are worried. Lucia, go home with your ma and I will drop Johnny off."

I took off the jacket and gave it back to Johnny with a small smile.

"Thank you, Johnny. Merry Christmas."

He just nodded his head and softly said, "you too Lucy" before he put the jacket on and followed my papi to his truck. When we got home, the house looked normal, the only thing different was the couch. The old brown one that the babysitter had slept on was gone and a grey one now sat in the spot.

"Come on Lucia, Maria is going to go help you get cleaned up, you look disgusting and smell worse."

I just nodded and went to my room with my nanny. I was glad she wasn't working last night, I couldn't imagine being without her. She had been running a bath when she saw me enter the room.

"Querida, are you alright? You scared me ninitã, I was so worried I lost you." Her cuddles were nice and gentle not suffocating like the ones from mami.

"I'm sorry Maria, I didn't mean to."

Maria shook her head and ran her hands softly over my head. "None of this is your fault, little one. None of it."