18 April 2019

Old habits die hard, so thankfully both Nestor and I were sleeping in underwear when a soft knock was heard. An even softer voice came through the door, "Orada mısın?" [Turkish: Are you in there?] I looked at the time and it had just past 5am. Guess we were both feeling the jet lag. "Yeah baby, come on in." I felt Nestor roll out of bed to unlock the door before I could tell him not to bother.

The door handle jiggled a moment then the door swung open. Libby walked in, closed the door behind her and put the hair clips back in her hair. "Troublemaker like your mother I see." She laughed at him as he smiled to her kindly. I couldn't hide my own smile, I would never have described Nestor as cute but seeing him interact with his daughter was pretty fucking cute. "Can you do my hair papi?" And I'm done, cuteness overload!

I turned on the tv, finding Animal Planet while Nestor had gone to the bathroom and came back with his hairbrush and hair ties. I giggled when I imagined what we looked like. I was sitting against the headboard braiding Nestor's hair while he sat between my legs and Libby was sitting between his legs while he braided her hair. "What's so funny querida?" I tried to shake the image but couldn't and laughed again. "We probably look like those monkeys on the tv." They both looked where I was pointing and Libby cracked up laughing. Nestor leant back into me and turned his head to kiss me. "I missed you querida."

We didn't want to disturb anyone else so we stayed in Nestor's room until just after 7am. The family time was spent cramming almost 7 years of history into 2 hours. When we emerged it was almost like we had never been apart. If I'm honest with myself, it scared the shit out of me. I still resented having anything to do with the cartel. I didn't want it shit all over my family and I didn't want my daughter getting hurt. I knew I had to talk to Nestor but I didn't want him thinking I'd just take his daughter away. I also didn't think he would leave his life here and his best friend. Pushing the worry to the back of my mind, I had more important things to worry about today.

When we walked into the kitchen Miguel was sitting at the breakfast bar nursing a coffee. He smirked when he saw us and raised an eyebrow. "Look here, it's the braidy bunch. Good morning Nestor, Nadia." I ruffled his styled hair as I went to the coffee maker. "I see you are taking your dad jokes seriously. Miguel, this is Liberty, Libby this is Miguel or Mr Galindo." My daughter held her hand out politely and shook his hand. "Mucho gusto tu, Senor Galindo." I don't know how she ended up so polite, it wasn't from me that's for sure.

After breakfast, I grabbed my phone and messaged Coco asking if he was free today. Nestor was working with Miguel and my father was dealing with the lost drug shipment. "Can I borrow your car today? I'm going to head into town and see Coco, try find out why they followed us." Nestor grabbed the keys for his Audi and threw them to me. "Still not sure how I feel about you hanging out with Mayans but call if you need me. I'll take Miguel in the Escalade today."

I thought there would have been more resistance but I was grateful there wasn't. "Coco wouldn't let anything happen to us but if you have any hand guns spare I wouldn't turn it down." He smirked as he went to the back of his closet and opened the gun safe. "Help yourself, mi amor. I need to get going. Be safe and call me if you need anything. Te quiero." "Love you too." We walked out together and he said his goodbyes to Libby, kissing her on the forehead. "Te quiero mija." "Te amo también papi."

My phone beeped and I saw a message from Coco with the address for the clubhouse. I checked the gun was loaded before putting it in a holster I borrowed as well. I found Libby playing on the back lawn with Miguel's toddler. It looked like such a normal sight except for the armed guards walking around the property. Just another reminder how dangerous this life was. "Say bye to Cristobal, we have to go see Tío." After the 7 year old and 2 year old hugged she made her way to the car I was waiting at.