21st April 2019

I hadn't seen Miguel or Emily since the Mayan's party. I knew they were in the house but Emily was in the basement and Miguel was locked in his office. He had been keeping Nestor busy so I only saw him when he dragged himself to bed late at night and he was gone by the time I woke up.

Even with housekeepers, Libby and I were struggling with the small suitcase of clothes we had. The week long trip had been indefinitely extended so I needed to go shopping with Libby. The girl spent all her time with Cristobal, the two were inseparable but that may have been because both were used to being isolated from other kids.

After searching the main areas of the house and not finding my husband I headed downstairs. Knocking quietly, I heard an equally quiet 'enter'. Shit, Miguel looked horrible. He had bags under his eyes and his beard was unkempt, very unlike him. Nestor sat opposite him, with his back to me. I greeted Miguel and then kissed the top of Nestor's hair while running my hand along his tense shoulders.

"I am taking Libby into town. Is there anything you want or need?" They both shook their heads and Nestor handed me his Escalade keys. Taking the Audi ones from my pocket, I slipped them into his hand, squeezing it just a little bit before leaving the office. I had almost made it to the top of the stairs when Nestor caught up and intertwined our fingers. "Mikey's going to be here all day so
I'll come with you too. Dia familiar." I smiled at him and saw his eyes soften and his lips tug up. Libby would be excited when she sees him coming with us.

Libby was so excited she couldn't sit still in her seat. She would pop her head through the gap in the chairs to ask really random things. I gave up answering and put the stereo on. I cringed at the mariachi music that came on but looking at Nestor he didn't even seem to pay attention to it. Maybe he was used to ignoring what goes on in the car.

"Ew, my ears are bleeding. This is bloody Mexican elevator music." Libby's head popped through the gap following her rant. She could only just reach the radio from her spot. Nestor laughed at her antics. "Jesus Christ. She's a mini clone of you. I swear it's your words coming out of her mouth." I smirked at him then looked at her. Yeah, she does have my snarky sarcastic attitude, I can't deny that. "She's more like you when she's angry. Just beware, if she goes silent and her eyes go black, you're in deep shit." Libby crossed her arms looking smug, I think she enjoyed having something in common with her dad. They still had a lot to learn about each other.

"Nestor, stop. It's just until we get our stuff from Istanbul. She doesn't need all this, you are spoiling her." He held his hand up to interrupt me. "I haven't been there for her and so I have seven years of spoiling to catch up on." I slapped him lightly but still he pulled his card out and paid for it.

As we entered the cafe Libby had chosen,  she led her father to a table near the rear exit. I went an ordered for us all hoping Nestor's taste hadn't changed. Waiting for the order, I watched the two people I loved most converse. I couldn't hear what they were talking about but I could see Libby's big smile and her arms waving around as she told him something. I could see them both looking at the exits every few moments then Libby pointed at things around the room.

I put the tray on the table and sat opposite them. "Libby was telling me about your job in Istanbul and how you taught her lots of things." He had his eyebrow raised more in question. "What? I didn't know how to raise a child. I thought we did pretty good, right Bump? Anyway, it's a dangerous world and I wanted her as best protected as she can be." He placed his hand on mine, thumb rubbing over my knuckles.

"You did amazing and she's amazing. You know she could point out all the exits and possible threats? She even chose this table for its position." I held my other fist out for her and she bumped it with hers. "It has easy access to both exits, a wall covers our back and faces the windows to see who's coming." She nodded her head at her statement, knowing she was spot on with her analysis. I couldn't have been prouder.