Chapter 15

Avery's POV

"How did this happen?" I asked Addison.

She shrugged and leaned over the barrier, not really wanting to talk about what happened.. Neither did I honestly, but yet, part of me did. "This wasn't supposed to happen," she finally whispered.

"I know."

"Did I do something wrong? Was I in any way flirting with Luke?"

I could tell that she believed she must have, because what else could have possibly happened to cause her to be alone on New Year's Eve in Times Square? "No," I answered honestly.

She sniffed and looked down. Then she took a deep breath and when she let it out, it was a shaky, "I don't know what I did." Her eyes were glassy as she turned to face me.

I sighed and wrapped my arms around her. "He didn't say anything?"

"No... I mean, other than the 'I can't believe you would do this to me, we're done', nothing."

I wasn't sure what to say just then, and apparently neither did she. So I just held her for a few minutes. She finally pulled away and wiped at her eyes. "Let's go get something to help us warm up, okay?"

She nodded and linked her arm with mine and I steered us toward a Starbucks. We got something to drink and then went to sit over by a window. I felt terrible... Something happened between her and Niall and I don't know what to do to help her. She doesn't want to talk; I can tell because she's staring out the window and won't look at me for longer than three seconds. My phone started vibrating on the table, and I thought I saw Addison jump, but I just grabbed it and walked to a different area.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Hey," Harry said. He sounded kind of relieved when I answered, like he hadn't expected me to. "Where are you?"

"Sitting in a Starbucks in Times Square with Addison."

"Is she okay?"

"Nope. Not at all."

"Damn.."

"Do you know what happened?"

"I don't. Me and the boys are trying to get him to tell us, but he won't."

"Great."

"He's just sitting on the floor in his room and won't stop mumbling 'idiot,' though I'm not entirely sure what that's supposed to mean."

Like if he was calling himself an idiot because he broke it off with Addison, or for believing and trusting her. "Addison is just staring out the wind-"

"I want to go out."

I turned and faced her. "You what?"

"I want to go back outside. Why should Niall get in the way of one of my biggest goals?"

"You want to go back out and see the ball drop?"

"Yeah."

"What?" Harry asked.

"Who knows? Maybe some guy will kiss me and he'll end up being the guy I'll marry."

"I don't know, she's talking about kissing and marrying some guy," I heard Harry say.

"What?" I heard Niall shout. "Where the fuck are they?"

"Avery, please? I need this," she begged.

"Alright, fine. I'm right behind you."

She smiled and quickly walked back to the table.

"Avery, where are you?" I heard Niall's voice.