Reese / Zaki

Reese

        Staring at the front of his locker, Reese couldn’t seem to get the image of Zaki’s scarred arms out of his mind. It always saddened him when people hurt themselves, but for some reason this was hurting him even more. Why is that? He thought while finally opening the locker. He knew nothing about that guy, except he had butterfly tattoos and scars on his body. There seemed to be a lot more to him however, more that most people haven’t seemed to care about.

       Jumping when his locker was suddenly shutting, he looked up to see Travie smiling down at him. Ugh why is this guy always around me? He thought while opening his locker back up. “What’s up?” The football player asked the same time as Piper suddenly appeared out of nowhere and happily said,

       “Reese, hi! How was your first week of classes?”

       “Ugh Piper, calm down,” Travie said while leaning against the blue lockers behind him.

       “How am I supposed to calm down? We’re already a week into our senior year! There’s still so much to do and-”

       Tuning the sound of their bickering out, Reese watched as Zaki started walking down the hallway. He was looking down at his feet, headphones hanging out of his ears. He was suddenly being thrown against a locker as a huge douchy looking guy was shoving him. “Why don’t you go kill yourself already?” The douche asked while his friends started laughing behind him before they walked away.

       Feeling anger bubble up inside of him, Reese walked over to him while asking, “Are you okay?”

       Looking up, Zaki gave him a look before he rolled his eyes while re-adjusting his headphones. “Don’t act like you care.”

       “I really do care.”

       “Why?” Zaki yelled, causing everyone in the hallway to turn and look at them. “You don’t know me. Don’t act like you’re so high and mighty because you seem to care. Leave me alone already!” With that he shoved past him while walking further down the hallway.

       Frowning, Reese put his hands into his pockets just as Travie and Piper came up to him. “Poor Zaki,” Piper said while wrapping her arms around herself while Travie said,

       “What a freak.”

       Looking between them, Reese shook his head before staring at Zaki continue to walk down the hallway. Why wouldn’t he even talk, does he have any real friends? Sighing he leaned back against the locker behind him, desperately wanting to figure that boy out.

**

       “When is Zaki coming back Reesy?” Jasmine asked while snuggling up closer to Reese on the couch.

       Wrapping his arm around his little sister he continued to flip through the channels while saying, “I’m not sure, we’re not really friends.”

       “Who’s Zaki?” Looking up he watched his dad come into the room while placing a bowl of chips down onto the coffee table.

       “No one.”

       “He’s pretty daddy!” Jasmine said while she started shoving chips into her mouth. “He knows Reesy.”

       “Is he a new friend from school?”

       “Don’t act like you care,” Reese said before freezing, remembering those were the same words that Zaki said had said to him. How was he supposed to show him he truly did care, and that he really wanted to become his friend? “I’m going to bed,” he mumbled, completely cutting his father off.