Reese / Zaki

Reese

        Panting as hard as he ever did in his life, Reese continued running down the long hallway before almost colliding into the nurse’s station. “Wh… where is he?” He asked, completely out of breath.

       “I’m sorry sir, who are you talking about?”

       “Reese!” Turning around he saw Piper running towards him, before engulfing him into her arms. “Thank god you came.”

       “Thank god you called me, where is he? Is he okay?”

       “He’s resting,” a deep voice said behind him. Turning around he saw an older couple standing behind him. When he heard footsteps he looked up to see his father running down the hallway towards them, Jasmine in his arms.

       Taking a glance back at the couple, Reese asked, “Are you his foster parents?”

       “Who wants to know?” The woman said, making Reese’s father raise his eyebrows in surprise.

       “I do, I’m Reese.”

       “And why are you so special?” The woman asked while sitting down into a chair.

       “I’m his friend.”

       His foster father gave a light chuckle while glancing down at his watch before saying, “He doesn’t have any friends. We were surprised he wasn’t in here sooner.”

       “How can you say that?” Reese yelled, never feeling angrier in his life. “You’re supposed to be looking after him.”

       “Who do you think you are?” The woman asked before standing up and giving him a look. “We take care of him just fine. We buy him everything he might need and what does he do? Use what we give him to cut himself up into a million pieces.”

       “What is your problem?” Reese yelled again, starting to come closer before his father held him back.

       “I brought coffee.” Looking up he saw a woman start to walk over, someone who looked just like Piper.

       Her smile instantly vanished when Zaki’s foster mother batted the coffee out of her hands, spilling it all over her top. “Are you okay?” Reese watched his father instantly run over to the woman, while those so called foster parents were walking away.

       “Where are you going? Zaki’s still in there.”

       “He’s fine,” his foster father said while they started walking down the hallway.

       Running a hand over his face, Reese sighed while plopping down into a chair. When he looked up he saw Piper saying something Jasmine, making the little girl’s sad face finally light up into a smile.

       He remembered the panicked feeling he felt when Piper had called him and told him what had happened to Zaki. He hadn’t even bothered to explain anything to his father, before he was pulling him out the door and running over to their van.

       Feelings tears building up in his eyes, he suddenly felt very guilty. It was his idea for Zaki to come over to his house, if he hadn’t of suggested that, nothing probably would have happened to him. Before he could ponder too longer on the thought a doctor was suddenly making his way out into the lobby. Standing up, Reese made his way over to him while asking, “Is Zaki okay?”

       Looking up, the Doctor looked down into his eyes before he started looking around the rest of the waiting room. “Do you happen to know where his foster parents went?”