Did I Fail?

When Jimin opened his eyes again, the black birds were gone. He was curled up in an open field, covered in scratches, his clothes torn up, but the crows were gone. He sprawled out across the grass in relief. Four figures hovered over him. Stray rays of sunlight blurred his vision so he had to squint to make out there faces. They were his friends.

"Jimin, are you okay?" Namjoon asked, crouching down next to him. Jimin nodded and allowed his friends to help him sit up.

"How did you save me?" Jimin questioned his friends.

"We didn't," Yoongi muttered, annoyed by the truth behind the statement. Jimin scanned the faces of his friends, confused.

"The game master stopped it," Hoseok added. "We didn't do anything. He didn't even give us a task."

Jimin huffed indignantly. The game master was a sick bastard. He put Jimin through all that for nothing. Unless it was a punishment. Was the 'corpse' the challenge? Was Jimin the one who failed?

"I think our dear Jimin has figured it out," the game master's voice sounded throughout the field. His voice was accompanied by static, as if he were speaking through a radio. "Mind sharing with the class?"

"The challenge," Jimin swallowed uncomfortably as he spoke, "was mine. I failed, didn't I?"

"On the contrary," the game master laughed, "you did exactly as I had hoped."

The friends looked at each other in confusion. What was the game master talking about? Before anyone could question the game master's words, he spoke again.

"Now, it's time for you all to get going." The game master cackled before continuing, "Chop chop!"