Sirius's Essay

Submitted to Professor Minerva McGonagall, May 14, 20—.

"I've thought a lot about the meaning of life over the past few months. I've found that the meaning of life isn't a formula that you can put numbers into and get an answer. It's never been cut and dry, never one standard definition to wrap the question up nicely. The truth is, life is messy. It's not just about the atoms and elements. It's not all about DNA or brains or hearts or even lungs. It's not about all the scientific building blocks that make up your body and your mind. It's about living. This human experience isn't about life itself, but what you do with it. Life is about what you can do for other people, how you can make the world a better place. I think the most important thing about life is love. Whether it's love that lasts a thousand years, or only a few. Love is the most precious thing about life. It's crazy and amazing; it hurts and it helps. I am the luckiest man on this earth because I have found love. It's a scary thing, loving someone. It's an incredible thing, too. I truly believe that love gives life meaning. Without love, a person is not truly living, only existing."

An excerpt from Sirius Black's writing essay, 'Life and Its Meanings.'