Chapter 52

A filler chapter before things get heated up...

***

Corporate parties were boring occasions and Hoseok rarely bothered himself to attend one of these. He didn't care about the networking and he had people for that shit. He barely made public appearances because of his hectic schedule and that had eventually led to the public painting a cold and arrogant image on him. Somehow it kept people away from him and he used it to his advantage.

But there were times he grew tired of his image. People expected him to behave in a certain manner and he despised it. Jimin and Yoongi were the two people who treated him differently. With them, he could be his true self with no need to pretend.

He was returning from his quick restroom break when he ran into Jungwoo. The man was a snake. Hoseok never liked him. They had met a few times in public events and that was that.

"It was nice of you to be here, Hoseok-ssi," Jungwoo greeted, handing him a glass of whiskey.

Hoseok accepted the drink but made no move to drink it. "Thanks for the invitation."

"Of course, you're a friend of my son. I'm surprised he never told me about your acquaintance."

Hoseok shrugged. When he offered no response, Jungwoo cleared his throat.

"We should get more acquainted. I'd love to invite you for lunch sometime this week."

"Sounds good," Hoseok said, though that was the last thing he wanted to do. "I must warn you I'm a very busy person. Ask your assistant, to get in touch with my assistant."

"Sure." Jungwoo gave him a pleased smile.

"Thanks then." Hoseok intervened before Jungwoo said something else. "My friends are waiting."

Hoseok was enjoying the party despite the tight atmosphere. He would be lying if he wasn't a tiny bit jealous by the way Katy hung on Jimin's arm. He knew they had a role to play that evening, but seeing it was really hard to process.

Jimin was like a brother to Katy and vice versa. But that didn't ease the knot of jealousy, not when she looked ravishingly beautiful. He envied Namjoon and Jin who had no problem flaunting their dates. He was silently sulking when Jin dragged him to the dance floor. All his worries vanished the moment Katy was pressed into his arms by someone.

For once, Katy hadn't pushed him away. She had even openly called him hot, which was like a soothing balm to the ache in his heart.

"Come here." Katy protested when Alvira wrapped her hands around the waist and pulled her away. "You're being obvious," her friend hissed in warning.

Hoseok laughed when Katy pouted. He had to bite his lips to stop the pout at the loss of her warmth. Taehyung stepped into his arms with a boxy smile. Hoseok shook his head. He could see why he was Jimin's soulmate. The man was a big baby and behaved like one. He even managed to worm his way into Yoongi's heart in a short span of time that now his best friend only talked about Taehyung whenever he came home.

"I was just dancing, Alvie," Katy complained.

"Yeah, and you're all over him." Alvie swatted Katy's butt to keep her place.

Even as Hoseok danced with Taehyung, his eyes were fixated on the lovely brunette. Yoongi and Namjoon had wandered off to somewhere, leaving them on the dancefloor.

Katy hugged her friend. "This is no fun. It's a sin not to dance with him when he looks so hot."

"And she's not even drunk," Taehyung quipped from Hoseok's arm.