Twenty-Six

Chapter Twenty-Six

"Hey." Adrian tugs my arm and places a kiss on my forehead. "Make sure to come back here before you go to bed." a wink is sent my way before I walk with Emily back to the living room. Luca sits between his parents, raising a slow eyebrow at his father that is currently yelling at him.

All conversation stops when Luca notices me and stands up. I can tell this isn't going to go well. A huff of a breath escapes my mouth as I walk further into the living room. Surprisingly, Luca wraps his arms around me and pulls me to him.

"Okay, lunch is on the table and I just..I don't know, thought it would be nice for you guys to come out for once? So, padre, fratello, can you at least try and be nice to each other tonight?" Luca rests his chin on the top of my head, his arms rubbing up and down my back as we slightly sway from side to side.

"Mhm. I have no problem getting along." he smiles a big, fake smile at his father. "What about you, padre?" Luca's father just nods stiffly and off we are to the dining room. I hesitantly sit down, sadly, across from Luca's father.

"So," Emily clears her throat and stabs a piece of broccoli, rather angrily may I add. "As we all know by now, I'm pregnant. Woo hoo. And about a month ago, we found out the gender. A boy." she shoves the piece of broccoli in her mouth and swallows dramatically before stabbing another piece. "Which, by the way, you are probably just now finding out about. I wonder why, hm? Maybe it is because you didn't come to the gender reveal party? Oh! Yeah, that's right."

I shift uncomfortably in my seat and cut a small piece of steak, glancing up at Luca's father. His eyes stay trained on me with a narrowed look. I sit up straight and raise an eyebrow, tilting my head.

"Honey, we're sorry. You know how busy your father and I are-"

Emily cuts her mother off. "With what? Luca runs the mafia now, like padre wanted. You guys act like he waned this!" she scoffs and points her fork at her father. "So, no. You guys don't get to say you're busy, because while you guys are living your happily married life, my brother has to run this shit you started in the first place!"

I look over at Luca with a questioning look but he simply sends me a small smile and leans on his elbow. "Anyways." he clears his throat awkwardly. "Mamma. Padre. How have you guys been, hm?"

"We're.." Luca's fathers gruff voice hesitates. "Fine. Luca, how has business been going? Anything I should know about?"

"John. Not right now." Luca's mom scolds.

"Lily. Yes right now." John mocks her, glancing at me.

Luca scoffs and runs a hand through his hair, swallowing his food. "You know how business is going, padre. You never stopped knowing. You know everything." he grits out and drops his gaze.