twenty-seven

"Chris! Get out!"

Ashley kept trying to close the door with the weight of her body pushing against it. On the other side, Chris knew he could easily push it open and get through, but he sighed and let it go.

"Fine, but we have less than two hours!"

The fact that Ashley said nothing only worried him more as he walked off annoyed. She rolled her eyes, earning a giggle from Mila who was at in a high chair in front of a brightly lit vanity in Ashley's room.

Dominique had just finished Mila's makeup and was beginning on her hair when Ashley pulled a rolling rack of clothes from the closet next to Mila.

It was finally time. They were getting ready for the movie premiere. Everyone had to look really fancy just to sit in a dimly lit movie theater for a few hours at a time, just because pictures would be taken beforehand. Supposedly there would be an after-party, what celebrity event would be complete without one?

"Voila! These are the ones specially tailored to your every inch," Ashley smiled proudly at the three outfit options on the rack.

The first choice was a short dress that would come just above her knees. It was gold sequined and ruffled at the waist, an odd combination but Mila made no comment. The second choice was a long dress, strapless and a solid satin material in a really nice hot pink color. It was a bit bold for what she was going for.

As soon as she saw the third choice, Mila knew it was the one. It was a spaghetti-strapped champagne colored dress. This one was also long, with more than one layer for volume and ruffles. There were sheer, see through layers dotted elegantly with golden sparkles over the solid champagne satin layer.

"Wow," she breathed, and Ashley knew exactly which one she was talking about.

Ashley pulled it off the rack and held it up high. Mila suddenly frowned, observing the front of it.

"What?" Ashley asked.

"The chest is really low."

Ashley rolled her eyes, "Don't be such a nun. Every part of you, especially your chest, is gorgeous. Now put this on and steal the show!"

Behind Mila, Dominique giggled before putting a pause on doing her hair that was in the process of being straightened and curled at the ends. Ashley helped Mila step into the dress and look in the mirror. She spun and couldn't fight the smile, no matter how self-conscious she felt about the chest.

"That's the one," Dominique nodded, returning to doing her hair.

Mila only smiled. She said nothing as they finished their final touches, trying not to let her nervousness swallow her.

It had only been an hour since Chris had tried to come into the room, but they were still surprised to see him patiently waiting outside in the hallway, leaning against the wall. He immediately looked up and nearly dropped his jaw to the ground.

He had butterflies.

Chris was taking her in for everything that she had, and it was all more than enough for him. The way the gold and champagne colors glimmered against her tanned skin was enough to make him go crazy. For a split second in his moment of speechlessness, he debated on ditching the movie premiere and just running away with her. Just him in a tuxedo and her in that dress.

His suit and tie matched her in a nicely subtle way. He wore a classic black suit, but Ashley picked out his champagne colored undershirt that was left unbuttoned at the top with no bow or tie. He had no idea what Mila's dress was going to look like until just now, but thanks to Ashley demanding that he wear champagne, he safely came to the deduction that Mila's dress would at least also be that color.