twenty-two

"What am I looking at right now?"
"These are the five outfits from my line!" Ashley squealed.
Both of them were dressed in sweatpants and tee shirts. They were stood in the small wardrobe room of where Sofie had arranged the promotional photo shoot to be. She would be joining them any minute now.
The point was for Mila and Sofie to take a few pictures in the one outfit each of them would be wearing out of the five that would be available to the public the week after the fashion show. The promotional photo shoot served as a sneak peek to the entire line as well as what was to come for Ashley's designer journey.
"Let me explain. My collection is called 'A Night Out' and the five outfits serve as a range of what women of different styles and shapes would wear when going out of their comfort zone for a night. Although there is only five outfits, different women of different shapes, sizes, and colors will be wearing them on the runway to really showcase it. This is the white series."
Mila got that part, judging by all the outfits being in white. These ones in particular were the ones tailored to Mila's precise measurements only the week before.
"These are all so stunning, Ashley, but 'out of my comfort zone' is a bit of an understatement. When have you seen me in anything like this?"
"That's exactly why you're the perfect model. Now pick one!"
Mila sighed, trying to be enthusiastic for Ashley but failing. She was so out of her mind right now. The outfits ranged from dresses to two pieces that matched. They were absolutely beautiful, and they ranged from really risqué to somewhat modest.
The one Mila adamantly pointed to was the least revealing, surprisingly. That was still wasn't saying too much considering it was two pieces connected by a silky string.
Ashley smiles, "I was hoping you'd pick that one. I named it 'Reyes of Sunshine' after you."
That earned a genuine smile from Mila who even felt a little more uplifted by the comment. Ashley pulled it off the rack, set it aside, and pushed the rack out for one of the crew to take. She led Mila to a chair where she assured her that the makeup artist would be in shortly.
Mila glanced over her shoulder at the outfit once Ashley left. It was laying on the leather black couch. It looked so intimidating and tiny. She almost doubted if the measurements were right and if she would even be able to fit in it, but with how long it took for the seamstress took Mila's measurements, she was certain there was no room for error.
After what felt like hours in that chair with different brushes taken to her face, Mila was almost scared to open her eyes and see who she had turned into in the mirror. She was sure she had about a million layers of makeup on her face, despite Mila trying to get Ashley to compromise for a somewhat natural look.
Once the makeup artist announced that she was done, Mila slowly opened her eyes and felt a weight off her chest. She recognized herself!
The makeup artist covered every blemish on her face. There wasn't much to begin with, but she balanced out the shade of her skin to look more smooth. Subtle double wings of white liquid eyeliner went just slightly past her brown eyes. At her inner eyes was just a smudge of silvery, white highlighter with just a few specks of glitter to really emphasize the eye look.
Her lips looked slightly more plump, but really the makeup artist just gave her the most perfect shade of bayberry lipgloss to really highlight her mouth's features from the tip to the arch of her cupid's bow at the center.
Last but not least, the makeup artist did a little sculpting to emphasize Mila's cheekbones along with some highlighter. It was nothing extreme, but it was to her. She was liking it and didn't mind it for a few hours.
"This is amazing. This is art," she complimented the makeup artist who thanked her immediately before going to grab the outfit. She was going to carefully help Mila into it so as to not mess up the outfit or the makeup.
The strapless white top only went one or two inches past her under boob. The long white fitted pencil skirt that matched the satin material of her top was high waisted. Although she only showed a few inches of her midriff, she was still exposed. The white string swirled around her brown body, connecting the skirt to the top and the top to where it elegantly wrapped around her neck.
She would be mistaken to say that the seamstress and her measurements were wrong, because everything fit comfortably snug no matter how unusual it all was for her.
"You are hot!" The makeup artist cheered.
Mila blushed as she was led out to the studio. All eyes were on her as soon as she walked in front of the backdrop where Ashley stood with Sofie who had finally made it and changed into her outfit. It was partly due to Mila being the last one out of hair and makeup despite her hair being up in a simple and classy bun.
"Mila, wow," Sofie made herself be known.
She looked just as stunning in something much more provocative. Sofie wore a white lace, see through one piece with long pieces of sheer fabric draping from her neck down the outfit past her long legs.
"Sofie, it's so nice to see you again," Mila smiled. They went to hug each other, but the last minute touch ups were being made to both of them and they giggled it off.
"You look absolutely beautiful. Now I know why Chris is so crazy about you," Sofie winked before being led to her spot.
Next, she was approached by Ashley who had a gleam in her eyes that said many things. She was proud of her work and more importantly, she was proud of her best friend.
"How do you feel? Because I know how you look," Ashley smirked.
Mila playfulled rolled her eyes, "It's different, but it's only for a night. It should be fun!"
"That's the spirit. You look absolutely gorgeous, I could cry! But the show must go on!"
That was her over dramatic best friend right there.
Soon enough, different people were telling the two models different things. Poses, expressions, angles. They took individual pictures before being instructed on what to do for the photos they would take together. Although hundreds of photos must have been taken, Ashley estimated that only a dozen would actually be posted for the promotional posts online.
Once the photographer said that he had enough shots, he went to go catch up with Sofie who he knew for a while. She was actually the one who arranged it all for Ashley's line to come together.
"I literally want to buy you a drink," Ashley giggled once people dispersed and she was mostly in private with Mila.
"Oh, please," Mila giggled.
"I'm serious. This means so much to me. You look fucking amazing. Let's go have some drinks... in the comfort of our new home and pajamas, of course. Go get dressed! Oh, but take a picture and post it as a sneak peek. People will love it."
Mila jokingly scoffed, "Instagram has been deleted from my phone for a few weeks now. I don't think my six hundred inactive followers are going to make a difference."
It was true. Ever since Chris did the interview to squash rumors, she had taken a break from Instagram. Her account was still up and it was still private, but she found that when she absently scrolled her timeline throughout the day, she'd see something that would make her regret getting on the app in the first place. Besides, she and Ashley both had their hands full with finishing up moving into the new house as well as last minute fashion show arrangements. It was less than two weeks away, after all.
"Maybe it's time you come out from your rock and show off a little," she winked suggestively and added, "and it would also really help my line if you posted that picture on a public profile."
Mila giggled at her change in demeanor and sighed, "Fine, I'll get right on it and meet you at the house whenever you finish up here."
Ashley gave her a thumbs up before going in for a big hug. It seemed to have lasted forever and neither of them were complaining. Between the stresses of school, moving, and work, it wasn't the easiest time of their lives.
Back in the wardrobe room she had spent hours in, Mila closed the door and grabbed her phone from the vanity desk. She walked to the huge mirror on the back of the door where she began to pose for a somewhat faceless mirror selfie. She also tried to remember all the tips Ashley, Sofie, and the photography crew gave her about posture and angles and lighting.
After taking a few million pictures and deleting them until she deemed the perfect one to be the one, she smiled contently and began to strip her body of clothes and face of makeup.
As if on cue, her phone rang and the picture of Chris on the screen told her who it was. Before she could even say something when she answered, he said, "Why haven't you sent me pictures yet, miss beautiful? You know I'm missing you so much!"
"You'll get to see it when all of my other millions of fans do!" She replied sarcastically.
It earned her a laugh from Chris's end before he realized what she was saying. "Oh, does that mean you're coming back to the world of social media?"
"Maybe," she shrugged with a smile, letting out a breath of relief once she was in her baggy sweats and tee shirt again. She was now finishing the removal process of her makeup.
"I can't wait to see it and I can't wait to see you in two weeks."
"Two weeks?"
"I got cleared to fly out to Georgia for your fashion show!"
Mila squealed at this. She was so happy to see him again that it hadn't quite kicked in yet that he was going to be seeing her in such a vulnerable, foreign state in front of thousands of pairs of eyes.
"I can't wait! I miss you so much, Chris," she sighed into the phone.
"I miss you more. I'm taking five right now, but I'll call you as soon as I'm home. Talk to you soon, Pooh."
She smiled and said goodbye before grabbing her things and rushing to her new home, ready to end the night with Ashley no matter how long she took.
MEELUHHREYES INSTAGRAM POST

meeluhhreyes Ashley gave me permission to post this behind the scenes pic of me, a sneak peek to her fashion show April 18th! Get your tickets now!! She named this one "Reyes of Sunshine" after me because she loves me ;)

She tagged both Ashley and Sofie along with the photography company, the seamstress, and her makeup artist although her makeup hasn't been shown off yet. She actually felt excited about it all, but she was more excited to be back in her sweats in front of the tv waiting for Ashley to come home in any minute.
Mila kept herself from absently scrolling the app now that she re-downloaded it. Instead, she scrolled the different titles on Netflix and tried to pick out something that she thought both her and Ashley would enjoy. She smiled to herself, looking forward to what was to come with her best friends, Ashley and Chris and now Sofie, and how the night was still young as was their journey of memories together.