Chapter 5: It's Emotional

MCKENNA
It's been a few weeks since the party where I ended up staying at my teachers house. I've been leaving earlier in the morning because I feel bad for wasting his time and it's been working so far, he has been absent a lot since then. Especially when I'm meant to have my class with him, he has been coming late or leaving early and only has had us about once or twice a week because of that. I observe myself in the mirror, blonde pigtails, lilac cropped top, white mini skirt, white socks and baby pink converse shoes. I throw my backpack over my shoulder and begin my journey to school, I haven't talked to him in a while and figured I should make sure everything's okay. I take a deep breath and click on his contact in my phone as it rings. I ring two times just to see but don't get an answer so I leave a voicemail.

Half way through my walk to school my phone rings and I answer quickly "Hello sweetheart, is everything alright?" he sounded exhausted, yet concerned and upset "Yes sir, I'm fine. I'm sorry if I caused you any trouble. I just wanted to make sure you were okay, I've noticed that you've been absent a lot lately and wanted to make sure that everything is alright." I spoke softly, pausing my journey and stopping in my tracks. a deep sigh came through my phone "Honestly, Mckenna. I'm exhausted. I'm okay, I've just been dealing with a lot lately" I sighed quietly "Is there anything I can do to help, sir?" I twirled one of the strands of my hair in between my fingers "I'd love to talk to you, Mckenna but I should let you go to school. Do you need a ride?" I shook my head to myself before remembering I wasn't on facetime "I've actually been walking to and from school lately but I'm fine, thank you." I bit my lip softly "Mckenna Grace, you told me you would get a lift from someone." he sighed "I'm sorry, sir. I'll let you go to sleep, you sound like you need it." I moved to the side to let a lady pass with her dog and gave her a small smile "Mckenna, where are you? I'm coming to get you." I gently kicked a pebble "I don't think you should be driving if you're tired, sir" I heard him groan quietly "Please sweetheart, I could use your bubbly and cheeky behaviour right now" he sounded like he really wasn't himself so I gave in "Alright I'm skipping school then and won't take no for an answer. I'll start walking back home and you can meet me there." I began walking back in the opposite direction towards my house "You're a little stubborn princess..I'll see you soon–" I walked back quicker "Please drive safely, J..um, sir" and with that I hung up and made my way back home.

There was a knock at the front door and there stood my english and now pdhpe teacher Mr Sorenson, he had bags under his eyes but other than that he looked like his usual self. "Come in" I smiled, softly grabbing his hand and pulling him in and giving him no time to refuse "What's wrong?" I asked quietly "It's emotional to talk about, is it alright if I tell you another time? It's not that I don't trust you, because I do" I nodded and sympathetically squeezed his hand "Of course" I looked up at him and his eyes looked watery, so I did the only thing that makes me feel better when I'm upset and that's a hug. I wrapped my arms around him and buried my head into his chest "I figured you could use a hug" I spoke into his chest, my voice coming out muffled. He bent down onto one knee, still hugging me. "Thank you, sweetheart" he spoke softly, placing a kiss on the top of my forehead. "Do you still want to meet my little sister? I'm sure the rest of my family would love to meet you too" I gently pulled away "I mean of course, if they're okay with it." He smiled "Let's go then, should you let your parents know that you're going out?" I shook my head "I'll just write them a note saying I'm out with friends" I grabbed a notebook and left a quick note, leaving it on the dining room table.

"Thank you" I smiled as he closed my door for me before jogging to his side of the car. "I'd just like to let you know that all of my family is home today because it's Julianna's birthday so I'm sorry if she's crazy from all the sugar she will be eating" he chuckled "Aw she's six today then, right? I wish I would've known, I would've brought her a present" he turned to me and smiled "Yes she's six today, you remembered? Don't worry, you can piggyback on my gift if you'd like" I grabbed my school bag that was still with me and grabbed my sketchbook out of it "Of course I remembered, I remember everything that you tell me. Do you know what her favourite animal is?" I asked with hopeful eyes, I'd definitely buy her a present later on but for now I'm sure she'd love a drawing of her favourite animal. "She loves penguins" he chuckled "They're really cute! I'm going to draw her some penguins then" I smiled and began to draw.