Chapter 22: Court Date

JARROD
I was a nervous wreck, the judge was about to discuss my sentence and I honestly was not ready to hear whatever the outcome may turn out to be. "We have decided to let you off the hook since you have no record of previous criminal charges besides the recent assault with Richard Lucas. Regarding the situation with the student, normally I would be very against it but from reading the statement that Miss Taylor had wrote and provided made me think against it. She has proven that this is a pure and meaningful relationship. I don't condone others in doing this just for the sake of it but they can't help their feelings so I'm willing to forget about it. As long as you both keep it professional during school hours so you don't get distracted, I'm going to allow it" it felt like a weight had been lifted off of my shoulders after hearing the judge say those words. "Thank you, Judge Connors" he nodded his head in response as we began to finish up.

Mckenna and I were allowed to be together and we didn't have to keep it a secret anymore!

As I walked outside, Mckenna ran into my arms "I'm so happy for you!" She squealed, kissing my cheek "I have my girl to thank for it" I replied playfully as I pressed my lips to her forehead. "It was wonderful to represent you, Mr Sorenson." I turned to Thomas Devon my lawyer "Thank you for representing me, Mr Devon" I said as I firmly shook his hand. "Thank you, Tommy!" I turned my head to Mckenna, how did she know him? "Of course kiddo, anything for you." He gave her a quick hug before saying goodbye. "How do you know him?" I ask her curiously "He was my dad's best friend, he's like an uncle to me" she said in a quiet whisper as I nodded my head in response. So her dad's a lawyer or perhaps used to be? Or he was just friends with the guy? I didn't want to pester her with my silly questions and I knew she would tell me whenever she is ready to tell me.

I turned my head to my right where I saw my family coming over to congratulate me. "Son, I'm so happy for you" I chuckled as my dad patted me on the back "Thanks Dad. I couldn't have done this without Mckenna, she deserves all of the credit" she presses her head into my chest as I notice her cheeks blushing lightly "Nooo I don't" she mumbled into my chest making all of us laugh. "You both did great. I'm so proud of both of you" I smiled as my mother hugged both of us "Thank you, Ma" Mckenna smiled as she tightly wrapped her arms around my mother. "Thank you, Collette." I looked around the four of us "Where are Jason and the kids?" I ask, I'm not surprised they aren't here for something like this I was just generally curious. "They're just hanging out at home" I nodded my head in response "You should hang out with your parents" I look down to Mckenna "You mean we?" I asked, she shook her head "You should be enjoying the time you have left with them. I'll always be here" I sighed, she had a point but she could be gone in a day too that's just the way life works. "Sweetheart, you're not interrupting us, you're very welcome to join. We have to live every day like it's our last and I'd love to spend time with you, I always do" she smiled shyly "Please spend time with them, I'm not going anywhere" I picked her up and threw her over my shoulder "You're right, you're not going anywhere without me. You're coming with us" I heard her groan quietly but I know she secretly loved it and was happy to come along even if she didn't want to admit it.

MCKENNA
We drove to a restaurant to celebrate and have lunch with Jarrod's parents. "Are you excited for your birthday coming up, sweetheart?" I turned my head to Jarrod as I gently bit on my lip. He remembered? "I guess so, how did you remember?" I asked curiously leaning my head on his shoulder as he chuckled "I could never forget your special day." He gently placed a kiss on my hand "So dear, you'll be eighteen correct?" I nodded my head towards Jarrod's mom "Yes ma'am that is correct. I'll be eighteen next Friday." She nodded her head "Are you planning anything special?" I shrugged my shoulders in return "I'm not too sure yet Peter, I haven't really thought about it yet." As he was about to reply the waiter returned with the food that we had all ordered. I had gotten Mac and Cheese along with sprite. "Ooh that looks so good" I muttered under my breath as I dug the fork into the food and took a bite, the steam simmering around in my mouth "Hot" I murmured as I burned the inside of my mouth as I quickly took a sip of my drink. I looked down at my thigh where a hand patted my thigh "Is it good?" He whispered in my ear "Very good. Do you want to try it?" I asked back with a small smile as I got some onto my fork and placed it in his mouth "That tastes really good, sweetheart" he nodded as he agreed with me.

"Well lunch was lovely. Thank you so much" I exclaimed as I looked up and smiled to Jarrod and his parents as we had just finished lunch at the restaurant that we had gone to in celebration of the news we had learned this morning at court. "Of course dear, we'd love to see you more." I turned to his mother "You're too sweet. Thank you." His mom laughed as she brought me into her arms for a hug. "So are you, dear" I slowly pulled away as Jarrod wrapped his arms around me, placing a gentle kiss on my forehead. "My sweet little angel" he whispers as my cheeks turn warm and pink.